Quantcast

Yet more in branch bug1567-simple

Paul Licameli
Two more commits, one just comments, the other and later is 1469045.

I don't insist on getting these into master for 2.1.3 if the benefits are not compelling enough.  I leave Gale and James to test it and review it and decide.

This commit removes empty subfolders from any project as soon as it closes, rather than waiting for the last one to close.

This may be the fix for the remaining symptoms of bug 1567, those that happen in case you record or generate sound in two untitled Audacity projects, and then close one of them.

But the likelihood of that special use case may be too little to justify taking any further risks with changes now.  It may be a tolerable amount of lingering bug 1567 symptoms.

Re: Yet more in branch bug1567-simple

Thanks, Paul. That sounds as if it would do the trick, but I won't be testing it
unless James says he wants it to be in 2.1.3.

I don't know that I would call it a special use case to have two projects open.
File > Open or File > Open Recent twice would create the same issue on a
susceptible machine.

Gale

On 1 February 2017 at 13:00, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Two more commits, one just comments, the other and later is 1469045.
>
> I don't insist on getting these into master for 2.1.3 if the benefits are
> not compelling enough.  I leave Gale and James to test it and review it and
> decide.
>
> This commit removes empty subfolders from any project as soon as it closes,
> rather than waiting for the last one to close.
>
> This may be the fix for the remaining symptoms of bug 1567, those that
> happen in case you record or generate sound in two untitled Audacity
> projects, and then close one of them.
>
> But the likelihood of that special use case may be too little to justify
> taking any further risks with changes now.  It may be a tolerable amount of
> lingering bug 1567 symptoms.
>
> PRL

Re: Yet more in branch bug1567-simple

Thanks Paul.

I got most of the way into committing and reviewing this, but found I
could not convince myself that this might not end up 'spring cleaning'
the top level directory (recursively), and so deleting every non .au and
non .auf file on disk.  This was from looking in to the mytemp path
being set via auto recovery.

If this did happen, I think our users would be a little upset.

I am of course pretty confident that the code really is OK in practice,
and it would take a corrupt (or malicious) autorecovery file to make the
problem happen.  What I'm looking for is code that is easier to check.

--James.

On 2/1/2017 1:00 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:

> Two more commits, one just comments, the other and later is 1469045.
>
> I don't insist on getting these into master for 2.1.3 if the benefits are
> not compelling enough.  I leave Gale and James to test it and review it and
> decide.
>
> This commit removes empty subfolders from any project as soon as it closes,
> rather than waiting for the last one to close.
>
> This may be the fix for the remaining symptoms of bug 1567, those that
> happen in case you record or generate sound in two untitled Audacity
> projects, and then close one of them.
>
> But the likelihood of that special use case may be too little to justify
> taking any further risks with changes now.  It may be a tolerable amount of
> lingering bug 1567 symptoms.
>
> PRL

Re: Yet more in branch bug1567-simple

Paul Licameli
James, I feel certain doubts about this commit too.  But it is here for experiment as possibly removing the last symptoms of bug1567, whatever else it does.  So we can say we have researched the problem as best we can even if not fixing every case.

I found that in practice the mytemp member variable of DirManager is in practice set to ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/SessionData/projectnnnnnnnnnn for some digits n.  Are you referring to that?  I did not examine all the ways that member is set.

PRL

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 9:55 AM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Paul.

I got most of the way into committing and reviewing this, but found I
could not convince myself that this might not end up 'spring cleaning'
the top level directory (recursively), and so deleting every non .au and
non .auf file on disk.  This was from looking in to the mytemp path
being set via auto recovery.

If this did happen, I think our users would be a little upset.

I am of course pretty confident that the code really is OK in practice,
and it would take a corrupt (or malicious) autorecovery file to make the
problem happen.  What I'm looking for is code that is easier to check.

--James.

On 2/1/2017 1:00 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
> Two more commits, one just comments, the other and later is 1469045.
>
> I don't insist on getting these into master for 2.1.3 if the benefits are
> not compelling enough.  I leave Gale and James to test it and review it and
> decide.
>
> This commit removes empty subfolders from any project as soon as it closes,
> rather than waiting for the last one to close.
>
> This may be the fix for the remaining symptoms of bug 1567, those that
> happen in case you record or generate sound in two untitled Audacity
> projects, and then close one of them.
>
> But the likelihood of that special use case may be too little to justify
> taking any further risks with changes now.  It may be a tolerable amount of
> lingering bug 1567 symptoms.
>
> PRL

Re: Yet more in branch bug1567-simple

James Crook
My concern is that mytemp could get set to ~/ or / or just blank.
The value of mytemp can come from an autorecovery file.

[There is also the possibility of user error in setting the temporary
directory in preferences.
IF that leads to mytemp being ~/projectnnnnnnnn  then that's OK, but if
it could be ~/ then I am concerned].

On 2/1/2017 5:22 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:

> James, I feel certain doubts about this commit too.  But it is here for
> experiment as possibly removing the last symptoms of bug1567, whatever else
> it does.  So we can say we have researched the problem as best we can even
> if not fixing every case.
>
> I found that in practice the mytemp member variable of DirManager is in
> practice set to ~/Library/Application
> Support/audacity/SessionData/projectnnnnnnnnnn for some digits n.  Are you
> referring to that?  I did not examine all the ways that member is set.
>
> PRL
>

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 9:55 AM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Paul.
>>
>> I got most of the way into committing and reviewing this, but found I
>> could not convince myself that this might not end up 'spring cleaning'
>> the top level directory (recursively), and so deleting every non .au and
>> non .auf file on disk.  This was from looking in to the mytemp path
>> being set via auto recovery.
>>
>> If this did happen, I think our users would be a little upset.
>>
>> I am of course pretty confident that the code really is OK in practice,
>> and it would take a corrupt (or malicious) autorecovery file to make the
>> problem happen.  What I'm looking for is code that is easier to check.
>>
>> --James.
>>

>> On 2/1/2017 1:00 PM, Paul Licameli wrote:
>>> Two more commits, one just comments, the other and later is 1469045.
>>>
>>> I don't insist on getting these into master for 2.1.3 if the benefits are
>>> not compelling enough.  I leave Gale and James to test it and review it
>> and
>>> decide.
>>>
>>> This commit removes empty subfolders from any project as soon as it
>> closes,
>>> rather than waiting for the last one to close.
>>>
>>> This may be the fix for the remaining symptoms of bug 1567, those that
>>> happen in case you record or generate sound in two untitled Audacity
>>> projects, and then close one of them.
>>>
>>> But the likelihood of that special use case may be too little to justify
>>> taking any further risks with changes now.  It may be a tolerable amount
>> of
>>> lingering bug 1567 symptoms.
>>>
>>> PRL

Re: Yet more in branch bug1567-simple

Paul Licameli
Then the safer fix ought perhaps to seek only files named .DS_Store and only on macOS.  I wrote something too general.
PRL

On 1 February 2017 at 17:47, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Then the safer fix ought perhaps to seek only files named .DS_Store and only
> on macOS.  I wrote something too general.

Do we delete the AUTOSAVE file before emptying the project* folder
or after it?  If the AUTOSAVE file is deleted first then wouldn't that
reason for an unwanted recurse should be removed.

On the face of it the fix is correct for the symptoms, even if the fix
cannot be constrained to only do want we want. The folders left
behind are redundant on Windows and Linux too but we know of
no bad effects there.

>From what I see we delete the .DS_Store file successfully, but if
a new .DS_Store file is added "soon enough" (perhaps while
Gatekeeper thinks the Audacity-invoked file operations are still
ongoing? ) then 1567 can occur. If the .DS_Store file gets added
a few seconds later, 1567 doesn't seem to happen.

Gale