Quantcast

a chorus effect plugin

Clayton Willis
I have used Audacity for years.  I am branching out now because I have
found a need to add a chorus effect on my guitar recordings
I have not been successful in adding a chorus to the plugins, but I have
stumbled onto others that will work.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

cbw

Re: a chorus effect plugin

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Clayton Willis
    | Fri, 9 Mar 2007 06:57:50 -0600
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] a chorus effect plugin
    | I have used Audacity for years.  I am branching out now because I have
    | found a need to add a chorus effect on my guitar recordings
    | I have not been successful in adding a chorus to the plugins, but I have
    | stumbled onto others that will work.

Audacity does not have an inbuilt Chorus effect at present.

Chorus is usually made up of phasing and pitch shifting and/or delay.
All of these are available separately in Audacity so could be run one after the
other.  The phaser produces more warmth in the sound, and either doing a
very slight pitch shift (much less than a semitone), or a very fine time shift
(with the Time Shift Tool <---> top left) on a copy of the audio will produce
an effect like multiple voices or instruments. In other words you Edit >
Duplicate the audio track, pitch shift or time shift one copy of it, then play
both copies together.

What operating system are you on? You may well be able to find free VST or
LADSPA chorus effects - do you mean you have found a standalone chorus
effect but not one that will run as a plugin in Audacity?

There is a Chorus effect (Multivoice Chorus) in the SWH-plugins suite, which
is available either for Windows:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/beta/ladspa/ladspa-0.4.15.exe

or Mac
http://ardour.org/files/releases/swh-plugins-0.4.15.dmg

or for Linux
http://plugin.org.uk/download.php

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 3/10/2007 9:31:30 AM

Re: a chorus effect plugin

Clayton Willis
I am on Windows xp

I didn't know how a chorus was made...but now you have told me how..so
maybe I could play around with that.
I have all that gear in my floor pedals, but can't take that stuff
everywhere wit me.  Catching the inspiration as it happens live is a must
for me.
I have learned to love recording with audacity.  It has spoiled me.
I am an acoustic guitar player, and pretty picky about "over processing"
sound.
I usually record live and then go back and put my sounds in.

So far I haven't had any luck with getting a chorus plugin to work.  Does
the fat32 file system make a difference over ntts?

thanks,
cbw

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:31:30 GMT [hidden email]
writes:

>     | From Clayton Willis
>     | Fri, 9 Mar 2007 06:57:50 -0600
>     | Subject: [Audacity-help] a chorus effect plugin
>     | I have used Audacity for years.  I am branching out now
> because I have
>     | found a need to add a chorus effect on my guitar recordings
>     | I have not been successful in adding a chorus to the plugins,
> but I have
>     | stumbled onto others that will work.
>
> Audacity does not have an inbuilt Chorus effect at present.
>
> Chorus is usually made up of phasing and pitch shifting and/or
> delay.
> All of these are available separately in Audacity so could be run
> one after the
> other.  The phaser produces more warmth in the sound, and either
> doing a
> very slight pitch shift (much less than a semitone), or a very fine
> time shift
> (with the Time Shift Tool <---> top left) on a copy of the audio
> will produce
> an effect like multiple voices or instruments. In other words you
> Edit >
> Duplicate the audio track, pitch shift or time shift one copy of it,
> then play
> both copies together.
>
> What operating system are you on? You may well be able to find free
> VST or
> LADSPA chorus effects - do you mean you have found a standalone
> chorus
> effect but not one that will run as a plugin in Audacity?
>
> There is a Chorus effect (Multivoice Chorus) in the SWH-plugins
> suite, which
> is available either for Windows:
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/beta/ladspa/ladspa-0.4.15.exe
>
> or Mac
> http://ardour.org/files/releases/swh-plugins-0.4.15.dmg
>
> or for Linux
> http://plugin.org.uk/download.php
>

> Gale Andrews
>

> Outbound message virus free.
> Tested on: 3/10/2007 9:31:30 AM

Psa 5:3  Every morning you'll hear me at it again. Every morning I lay
out the pieces of my life on your altar and watch for fire to descend.

Bro Bruce

Re: a chorus effect plugin

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Clayton Willis
    | Sat, 10 Mar 2007 13:44:37 -0600
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] a chorus effect plugin
    | So far I haven't had any luck with getting a chorus plugin to work.  Does
    | the fat32 file system make a difference over ntts?

FAT32/NTFS is not relevant to getting plugins to work in Audacity, but for
general operation of your computer, NTFS is a much better and less limited file
system than FAT32. I still don't know what you mean by "haven't had any luck
getting a chorus plugin to work". Audacity will support many VST plugins, which
is the format I would expect a third-party Chorus plugin to be in. Have you found
a Chorus plugin you want to use in Audacity but are having problems? If so,
please be specific and tell us what it is including its webpage, so we can see if
we can help. If it is a VST plugin, you need to add the VST Enabler to your
Audacity Plug-Ins folder before the plugin will be recognised. See:
http://audacityteam.org/vst/

Also why don't you give the Multivoice Chorus in
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/beta/ladspa/ladspa-0.4.15.exe

a try? There are no operational problems with that.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 3/10/2007 8:12:03 PM