defaults unsuitable

carrt7
(Audacity 2.1.1, Windows10, ThinkPad)

The new version of Audacity is great - thanks, Team.  But I am alarmed to find the defaults silly sometimes.  Example:  editing a track I press ALT-C, E, E, and get a flat-line "no-name" response curve - every time.  So I have to hit "no-name" every time, and select a curve.

This is regressing to Gates' level.  When a user goes to the Equalization window, the ONLY curve he cannot possibly want is a flat line!  If you don't want to show him the curve he used 2 minutes ago, at least show him the list of named curves to select from?

(Gates is famous for this.  E.g. drag a scroll-bar right to the bottom of a document, accidentally slip off the end of the bar, and your view defaults to guess where?  That's right, the top - the only place you can't possibly want.)

Hey, Audacity is still great.  One question:  If I open several single-stero-track songs at once (so they appear in separate windows), select and Cut one (CTL-X), go to another window and Paste (CTL-V), what tells Audacity whether to paste at the end of the existing track or to create a new track?

Tony

reports.http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: defaults unsuitable

Dave-211
hi
you tell audacity where to place the track e.g.. clicking at end of the track you want to add to.
    THANKYOU DAVE-211

Re: defaults unsuitable

Dave-211 wrote
hi
you tell audacity where to place the track e.g.. clicking at end of the track you want to add to.
In other words the selectedness of the track determines where the paste will
go. If no tracks are selected, the paste creates a new track.

Gale

Re: defaults unsuitable

The current Audacity release is 2.1.2 (it came out several months
ago):
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/ .

In 2.1.2, ALT-C-E-E-<enter>-<enter> gives you the last used curve.

2.1.1 has a bug that the last used curve is not remembered, so the
key sequence above will always give you a flat curve.

Yes "flat" is default, but you only get that default once in 2.1.2,
assuming you change the curve.

I suggest you use 2.1.2.

Gale

carrt7 wrote