export RSI

Of course as soon as I actually export a lot of files I get extra RSI
from the sub menu.

I know it won't happen but I think Export Audio and Export Selected
Audio should go back in the root of the File Menu. These will then
export the last format used by the export dialogue that comes up (or
WAV for first export).

I suppose we would accept they then say "Save Audio" and "Save
Selected Audio". User sees that it is called "export" in the dialogue.
Save Other would become "Save Special".

Yes I know there are shortcuts. I don't think in itself that rules out
the idea.

Or, roll on the menu munger or a way the user can choose  what they
want. For example some users may want to move Export MP3 into the
root of the File Menu because that is the only export they care about.

Re: export RSI

Peter Sampson-2

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of course as soon as I actually export a lot of files I get extra RSI
from the sub menu.

I know it won't happen but I think Export Audio and Export Selected
Audio should go back in the root of the File Menu. These will then
export the last format used by the export dialogue that comes up (or
WAV for first export).

I suppose we would accept they then say "Save Audio" and "Save
Selected Audio". User sees that it is called "export" in the dialogue.
Save Other would become "Save Special".

Yes I know there are shortcuts. I don't think in itself that rules out
the idea.

Yes shortcutts are available the only preset ones are:
Ctrl+Shift+E  for Export Audio
Ctrl+Shift+L  for Export Labels

If these multi-key shortcuts are too awkward you can always reset them.

And you can set shotcuts for all the other Export commands if need be

In particular James' new menu structure gives the user in you use case below
the chace to set a shortcut for "Export as MP3".

I always thaought that using keyboard shortcuts was better for RSI sufferers
than a lot of mouse and menu use.

Or, roll on the menu munger or a way the user can choose  what they
want. For example some users may want to move Export MP3 into the
root of the File Menu because that is the only export they care about.

Indeed, user-customizable menus (and toolbars) would be a very good thing.
But is may be a bit of a wait - so until then It's down to shortcuts I'm thinking.

Re: export RSI

On 7 April 2017 at 15:02, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Of course as soon as I actually export a lot of files I get extra RSI
>> from the sub menu.
>>
>> I know it won't happen but I think Export Audio and Export Selected
>> Audio should go back in the root of the File Menu. These will then
>> export the last format used by the export dialogue that comes up (or
>> WAV for first export).
>>
>> I suppose we would accept they then say "Save Audio" and "Save
>> Selected Audio". User sees that it is called "export" in the dialogue.
>> Save Other would become "Save Special".
>>
>> Yes I know there are shortcuts. I don't think in itself that rules out
>> the idea.
>

> Yes shortcutts are available the only preset ones are:
> Ctrl+Shift+E  for Export Audio
> Ctrl+Shift+L  for Export Labels
>
> If these multi-key shortcuts are too awkward you can always reset them.
>
> And you can set shotcuts for all the other Export commands if need be
>
> In particular James' new menu structure gives the user in you use case below
> the chace to set a shortcut for "Export as MP3".
>
> I always thaought that using keyboard shortcuts was better for RSI sufferers
> than a lot of mouse and menu use.

If you partially use the mouse as I do (using the right hand), which
is much quicker for selecting audio, switching to a shortcut can be
slower and involve even more RSI. CTRL + SHIFT + E can barely
be done with the left hand alone, and CTRL + SHIFT + L cannot.

So the right hand has to move a long way.

Gale