Quantcast

getting rid of audio hum

Tony Kroeger
Dear Sir,

I would like to say thanks in advance for your help... I have the version of audacity 123 and I am running Windows xp... We are a church and are having problems getting a loud audio hum out of our Voice recordings (sermons) ... This seems to be happening when we record to the hard drive of our computer is where we seem to picking up the hum.. We are using a 3 year old Dell computer... We have tried  recording on tape and there is not audio hum, however people forget to watch the recording level... and flip the tape that is why we switched to using the computer.... Then when we go in afterwords and try the noise removal we then pick up a sound in the background that sounds funny (we call it R2D2 off of star wars is the easiest way to describe it)... Can you help us solve the problem?  We are using a Peavey head that is not powered... You may call us if you like on our cell phone of 660-281-3463 or email us at [hidden email]... Do you offer a professional version?  By the way on our web address that is glory underscore vessel

At this point the only way I have found to eliminate the problem is to remove the noise and then go back and rerecord with the Peavey head by adjusting the mids down remove the funny sound, and re-record on tape... and then with a tape player input it back into the computer and then make a WAV file.... I cannot go right to the Computer because it picks up a loud hum again....
Help... I am doing my job 3 times...
Tony & Merry

Re: getting rid of audio hum

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Tony Kroeger
    | Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] getting rid of audio hum
    | I would like to say thanks in advance for your help... I have the
    | version of audacity 123 and I am running Windows xp... We
    | are a church and are having problems getting a loud audio hum
    | out of our Voice recordings (sermons) ... This seems to be
    | happening when we record to the hard drive of our computer is
    | where we seem to picking up the hum.. We are using a 3 year old Dell
    | computer... We have tried  recording on tape and there is not audio hum,
    | however people forget to watch the recording level... and flip the tape
    | that is why we switched to using the computer.... Then when we go in
    | afterwords and try the noise removal we then pick up a sound in the
    | background that sounds funny (we call it R2D2 off of star wars is the
    | easiest way to describe it)...  We are using a Peavey head that is not
    | powered.
    | At this point the only way I have found to eliminate the problem is to
    | remove the noise and then go back and rerecord with the Peavey head
    | by adjusting the mids down remove the funny sound, and re-record on
    | tape... and then with a tape player input it back into the computer and
    | then make a WAV file.... I cannot go right to the Computer because it
    | picks up a loud hum again....

Is the Peavey Head an amplifier? Move it right away from the computer
and keep its cables and the computer cables away from each other and keep
all cables as far away as possible from mains cables. Are you sending line
or phono level output from the amplifier? Does it have a headphones
output you could use for taking the signal to the computer or are you
using that now?

For tips on using Noise Removal and other techniques to remove hum
please see:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Noise_Removal

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 8/29/2007 10:03:22 AM

Re: getting rid of audio hum

audacity-help mailing list

    | From Tony Kroeger
    | Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] getting rid of audio hum
    | I would like to say thanks in advance for your help... I have the
    | version of audacity 123 and I am running Windows xp... We
    | are a church and are having problems getting a loud audio hum
    | out of our Voice recordings (sermons) ... This seems to be
    | happening when we record to the hard drive of our computer is
    | where we seem to picking up the hum.. We are using a 3 year old Dell
    | computer... We have tried  recording on tape and there is not audio hum,
    | however people forget to watch the recording level... and flip the tape
    | that is why we switched to using the computer.... Then when we go in
    | afterwords and try the noise removal we then pick up a sound in the
    | background that sounds funny (we call it R2D2 off of star wars is the
    | easiest way to describe it)...  We are using a Peavey head that is not
    | powered.
    | At this point the only way I have found to eliminate the problem is to
    | remove the noise and then go back and rerecord with the Peavey head
    | by adjusting the mids down remove the funny sound, and re-record on
    | tape... and then with a tape player input it back into the computer and
    | then make a WAV file.... I cannot go right to the Computer because it
    | picks up a loud hum again....

I should have added, please upgrade to Audacity 1.2.6 - 1.2.3 is obsolete
and no longer supported:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.