Quantcast

high-pitched noise in recording

Bob Cavanaugh

High all, I just did a recording of a radio station the other day. After I ran the truncate silence effect, I thought that everything would be fine. However, I sometimes the audio cuts out, usually in a commercial. And a sort of high-pitched noise is heard for a few seconds. Is there any way I can get rid of this or is it something that I need to live with until I delete the files in question? Also, during commercials, the person talking’s voice seems to be sped up at some parts of the commercial.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: high-pitched noise in recording

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:52:17 -0700
"bob cavanaugh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> High all, I just did a recording of a radio station the other day... a sort
> of high-pitched noise is heard for a few seconds. Is there any way I can get
> rid of this

Try selecting the few seconds that has the noise, and Analyze > Plot
Spectrum. If you could see the spectrum this would hopefully show you
a spike towards the right (high frequency) side of the plot where the
audio was much louder at that frequency than either side of it.

Then you would use Notch Filter (extra plug-in) or Effect > Nyquist
Prompt to filter out the frequency where the spike was. You can read
more about this and download Notch Filter here:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Noise_Removal#Other_Techniques

Since you can't I assume see the spectrum plot, export it using the
"Export" button, open it in a text editor, then look for a frequency on
the left where the level on the right has much smaller negative numbers
than the values above or below it in the list.  For example, this:

10766.601563 -41.084888
10852.734375 -27.513941
10938.867188 -8.378978
11025.000000 -5.945557
11111.132813 -16.059376
11197.265625 -36.729332
11283.398438 -45.824223
11369.531250 -50.926151

indicates a frequency centred on about 11000 Hz that is much louder
than other audio in surrounding frequencies. So filter out 11000 Hz in
that case.

> After I ran the truncate silence effect, I thought that everything would
> be fine. However, I sometimes the audio cuts out, usually in a
> commercial... Also, during commercials, the person talking's voice
> seems to be sped up at some parts of the commercial.

Was it recorded like this or a result of Truncate Silence? If a result of
Truncate Silence, increase the "Min silence duration", reduce the
compression factor if "Max silence duration" exceeds "Min silence
duration", and/or make the "Threshold for silence" a larger negative
number (such as -60 dB instead of -40 dB). More help on that here:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Truncate_Silence

http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: high-pitched noise in recording

Bob Cavanaugh
Ok, I understood what you were saying about the truncate silence thing,
maybe I'll try that next time I do this. The high-pitched noise I'm not sure
I followed you on. What is happening is the audio is cutting out, and being
replaced for a few seconds with a high-pitched sort of noise. This usually
happens during a commercial, and after listening to about half of the files
I made with this recording, it has happened twice.

> [...]

10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help >
About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and
how is it
   connected to the computer?

http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it

Al Dimond
On Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:36:12 bob cavanaugh wrote:
> Ok, I understood what you were saying about the truncate silence
> thing, maybe I'll try that next time I do this. The high-pitched
> noise I'm not sure I followed you on. What is happening is the
> audio is cutting out, and being replaced for a few seconds with a
> high-pitched sort of noise. This usually happens during a
> commercial, and after listening to about half of the files I made
> with this recording, it has happened twice.

Was the high-pitched noise in the recording before you applied
Truncate Silence, or was it added by Truncate Silence? If it was added
by Truncate Silence, I'd be interested in knowing more about it. In
particular, a sample of the original recording in an affected section,
and the settings you used for the Truncate Silence effect.

Thanks,
Al

Dave-211
Hi
how load is the commercial as compared the signal , just a thought ??  or do
you let the signal clip badly.
    THANKYOU DAVE-211

> Ok, I understood what you were saying about the truncate silence thing,
> maybe I'll try that next time I do this. The high-pitched noise I'm not
> sure
> I followed you on. What is happening is the audio is cutting out, and
> being
> replaced for a few seconds with a high-pitched sort of noise. This usually
> happens during a commercial, and after listening to about half of the
> files
> I made with this recording, it has happened twice.

What?

how load is the commercial as compared the signal , just a thought ??  or do

you let the signal clip badly.
    THANKYOU DAVE-211

> Ok, I understood what you were saying about the truncate silence thing,
> maybe I'll try that next time I do this. The high-pitched noise I'm not
> sure
> I followed you on. What is happening is the audio is cutting out, and
> being
> replaced for a few seconds with a high-pitched sort of noise. This usually
> happens during a commercial, and after listening to about half of the
> files
> I made with this recording, it has happened twice.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:36:12 -0700
"bob cavanaugh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... The high-pitched noise I'm not sure I followed you on. What is happening
> is the audio is cutting out, and being replaced for a few seconds with a
> high-pitched sort of noise. This usually happens during a commercial,
> and after listening to about half of the files I made with this recording, it
> has happened twice.

The instructions I gave about Notch Filter assumed the transmission
was affected by high-pitched interference that overlaid the "signal"
(the commercial) and of course that you recorded it like this.

If it sounds like the audio is being replaced with the noise, this might
still be because the noise is louder than the signal, so could be filtered
out. The sort of noise you are describing would usually not have a wide
frequency range, so the least damaging way to remove it would be to
find its frequency using Plot Spectrum, then notch filter that frequency.

If the audio really is being replaced with the high frequency noise, so
that you would have silence if you removed the noise, then clearly the
best way to remove it is to delete it, but you would have to do it
manually. Unless obscene words in the ads are being bleeped out by
the broadcasters, I would think it more likely that the interference is
laid on top of the ads.

If you want someone's opinion, you would have to upload an example
MP3 somewhere a few seconds long, containing the noise and the ad
either side of the noise. Then post the address the MP3 can be
downloaded from.

Gale

I just uploaded a segment of audio. This one was interesting in that it
spanned two different comercials. http://q-audio.net/i/8282

> ... The high-pitched noise I'm not sure I followed you on. What is
happening
> is the audio is cutting out, and being replaced for a few seconds with a
> high-pitched sort of noise. This usually happens during a commercial,
> and after listening to about half of the files I made with this recording,
it
> has happened twice.

The instructions I gave about Notch Filter assumed the transmission
was affected by high-pitched interference that overlaid the "signal"
(the commercial) and of course that you recorded it like this.

If it sounds like the audio is being replaced with the noise, this might
still be because the noise is louder than the signal, so could be filtered
out. The sort of noise you are describing would usually not have a wide
frequency range, so the least damaging way to remove it would be to
find its frequency using Plot Spectrum, then notch filter that frequency.

If the audio really is being replaced with the high frequency noise, so
that you would have silence if you removed the noise, then clearly the
best way to remove it is to delete it, but you would have to do it
manually. Unless obscene words in the ads are being bleeped out by
the broadcasters, I would think it more likely that the interference is
laid on top of the ads.

If you want someone's opinion, you would have to upload an example
MP3 somewhere a few seconds long, containing the noise and the ad
either side of the noise. Then post the address the MP3 can be
downloaded from.

Gale

Allistair Bywater
Hi Bob,

I found only a fundamental at 2750 Hz which nearly corresponds to F7 on the
keyboard (3-and-a-bit octaves above middle-C). [2793.83 is the correct
frequency for that F-note]

Also, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th harmonics. There was no trace of any other
frequencies which indicated that the noise replaced the commercials.

As an experiment, I chopped out the noise and the commercial *seemed* to
sound as if the it was paused during the 11 or so seconds the noise was
received.

I have had a very similar problems with sound recorded off YouTube and the
BBC website, only without the noise, just silence - at least, it *sounded*
like silence. Deleting the "silences" restored the audio, as with the
commercial mentioned above.

Maybe it's just what the net was sending you? Or an artifact of buffering
somewhere?

Kind Regards

Allistair
[hidden email]

>I just uploaded a segment of audio. This one was interesting in that it
> spanned two different comercials. http://q-audio.net/i/8282

So what you are saying is that if you edit out the noise you are able to get
the rest of the commercial back or does it just start from where it comes
back in? This is really curious though, because I was right there listening
to the audio as it was being recorded and it didn't seem to do that.

>I just uploaded a segment of audio. This one was interesting in that it
> spanned two different comercials. http://q-audio.net/i/8282

Yes, it really seemed to carry on - at least in the sample you posted... but
maybe it was only co-incidental. Try it on the sample and see what you
think.

However, I would try just editing out those other moments and see what it
sounds like, you can always undo...

Kind Regards

Allistair
[hidden email]

> So what you are saying is that if you edit out the noise you are able to
> get
> the rest of the commercial back or does it just start from where it comes
> back in? This is really curious though, because I was right there
> listening
> to the audio as it was being recorded and it didn't seem to do that.

>>> 10852.734375 -27.513941
>>> 10938.867188 -8.378978
>>> 11025.000000 -5.945557
>>> 11111.132813 -16.059376
>>> 11197.265625 -36.729332
>>> 11283.398438 -45.824223
> [...]
>   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with,
> and
> how is it
>   connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it

So how do I edit out just the noise?

> So what you are saying is that if you edit out the noise you are able to
> get
> the rest of the commercial back or does it just start from where it comes
> back in? This is really curious though, because I was right there
> listening
> to the audio as it was being recorded and it didn't seem to do that.

>>> 10852.734375 -27.513941
>>> 10938.867188 -8.378978
>>> 11025.000000 -5.945557
>>> 11111.132813 -16.059376
>>> 11197.265625 -36.729332
>>> 11283.398438 -45.824223
> [...]

> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with,
> and
> how is it
>   connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:

http://p.sf.net/sfu/nokia-dev2dev
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information,
so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X
10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help >
About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and

Achieve Improved Network Security with IP and DNS Reputation.
Defend against bad network traffic, including botnets, malware,
phishing sites, and compromised hosts - saving your company time,
money, and embarrassment.   Learn More!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/hpdev2dev-nov
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: high-pitched noise in recording

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 16:49:43 -0700
"bob cavanaugh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So how do I edit out just the noise?

On your sample there is no meaningful audio after you filter out the
2750 Hz, so you may as well just delete it IMO. It sounds to me as
if the transmission just dropped out where the quiet HF noise
occurred.

Gale

http://p.sf.net/sfu/SAP-dev2dev
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: high-pitched noise in recording

Bob Cavanaugh
Hmm, I wonder why it did that. I don't know if this is a bug with truncate
silence or a problem with the stream. I know I was around when it happens
the first time and I don't remember turning the speakers up loud at the
segment in question.

On your sample there is no meaningful audio after you filter out the
2750 Hz, so you may as well just delete it IMO. It sounds to me as
if the transmission just dropped out where the quiet HF noise
occurred.

Gale

adamdaboss6
Im Using Windows 10
I'm on Audacity 2.1.2
I am using the Floureon BM-100FX, It is connected with USB into my laptop, and the microphone jack with a sound splitter, also plugged in with USB on my laptop.

Whenever I use my mic to record my voice. There is a loud buzzing noise, its high pitches, and it is way louder than my voice.

Re: high-pitched noise in recording

adamdaboss6 did not subscribe to the list so please reply all if replying.

This is where you are meant to subscribe to this list:

The product reviews for this on Amazon are not good. It is unusual to need
two USB cables for a USB mic.

Right-click over the speaker icon by the system clock, then choose
"Recording Devices". Right-click over the mic then choose  "Properties".
Then click the "Levels" tab and see if you can turn any boost controls off.

Gale