Quantcast

how to record "what you hear"

pluperfecter
Someone on Twitter said I can record on Audacity anything that my computer can play, even if there are DRM blocks on mp3s, that won't allow you to burn a CD from them.

I don't see any "What You Hear" setting for Audacity. Anyone know how to do it?

Steven E. Streight
The web analyst & electronic music composer
3D Earth Screensaver Preview
Free 3D Earth Screensaver
Watch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/earth

Re: how to record "what you hear"

John Redwood Penovich

Depending on your soundcard it may not be labeled “What You Hear” On my PC which has an NVidia soundcard the corresponding choice would be “Stereo Mix”.

To check the setting make sure you can see the Mixer Toolbar in Audacity (View -> Toolbars -> Mixer Toolbar) then select the setting that seems to indicate the main mix output. However,  some sound cards don’t support that selection at all.

Hope this helps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Penovich
Radio Free Asia
2025 M Street, NW  Ste 300
Washington DC 20036
(202) 587-2042
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee
and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly
prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please
contact network[at]rfa[dot]org

Visit us at www.rfa.org or www.techweb.rfa.org

Someone on Twitter said I can record on Audacity anything that my computer can play, even if there are DRM blocks on mp3s, that won't allow you to burn a CD from them.

I don't see any "What You Hear" setting for Audacity. Anyone know how to do it?

Steven E. Streight
The web analyst & electronic music composer

Image removed by sender. 3D Earth Screensaver Preview
Free 3D Earth Screensaver
Watch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/earth

~WRD000.jpg (1K) Download Attachment

Re: how to record "what you hear"

Bob Long
steven streight wrote:
> Someone on Twitter said I can record on Audacity anything that my
> computer can play, even if there are DRM blocks on mp3s, that won't
> allow you to burn a CD from them.
>
> I don't see any "What You Hear" setting for Audacity. Anyone know how
> to do it?

What operating system are you using? If Windows XP, then generally (but not
always), there is a "Stereo Mix" "device" that you can use. What options
actually appear in your Audacity device selection? What version of Audacity
are you using?

--
Bob Long

Re: how to record "what you hear"

pluperfecter
Bob Long: running Windows Vista. Audacity 1.2.6

Thanks.

Steven E. Streight
The web analyst & electronic music composer

Dave-211
Hi
I think you will find it the sound cards that give you "record what you
hear" function but if you download  "harddisc.ogg" it is free and try that
,once it is on you harddisc then you can do what you want  with it.
    THANKYOU DAVE

> Bob Long: running Windows Vista. Audacity 1.2.6
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steven E. Streight
> The web analyst & electronic music composer

Dave, thanks. I'll try that link you provided.

Dave wrote:
> Hi
> I think you will find it the sound cards that give you "record what
> you hear" function but if you download  "harddisc.ogg" it is free and
> try that ,once it is on you harddisc then you can do what you want
>    with it. THANKYOU DAVE

Dave,

It would be more helpful for people if you mentioned the actual Web site,
that is,
http://www.fridgesoft.de/harddiskogg.php rather than something that looks
like a Web site, but isn't ("harddisc.ogg")!

--
Bob Long

Re: how to record "what you hear"

pluperfecter
LOL "something that looks like a website but isn't".

Bob Long: on my Audacity Mixer Toolbar, I see the following:

Microphone
Wave Out Mix
Mono Out
Phone
Line In
Aux
Microphone
CD Player

Which would be the Stereo Mix or Record What You Hear function?

Steven E. Streight
The web analyst & electronic music composer

Try Wave Out Mix

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Penovich
Radio Free Asia
2025 M Street, NW  Ste 300
Washington DC 20036
(202) 587-2042
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

steven streight wrote:

> Bob Long: on my Audacity Mixer Toolbar, I see the following:
>
> Microphone
> Wave Out Mix
> Mono Out
> Phone
> Line In
> Aux
> Microphone
> CD Player
>
> Which would be the Stereo Mix or Record What You Hear function?

I can't say I've ever heard of a "Record What You Hear" option for any of
the software I've used. But, from your list, I'd say "Wave Out Mix" is most
likely the one. Have you actually tried it? Or any of them to see if any
work?

--
Bob Long

Re: how to record "what you hear"

pluperfecter
I will try the Wave Out Mix.

I've tried the microphone inputs, and it records what I hear, but at a super low, barely registering level, that, when Amplified, contains background hiss.

Steven E. Streight
The web analyst & electronic music composer

http://www.vaspersthegrate.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/vaspers
http://twitter.com/vaspers

Re: how to record "what you hear"

robert c-3
Unless you had one of your outputs hooked back into your microphone
input, then most likely you were either recording the speakers through a
built in mic or recording crosstalk in your soundcard.  Thus the less
than ideal sound.

Wave out sounds right to me too.

Robert