Quantcast

how to use audacity to record a skype conversation

how to use audacity to record a skype conversation

JD-3
Hi All,
Could someone explain how audacity can be used to record a skype
conversation which should receive  input from the mic and from the internet?

I have heard of a shim that effectively grabs the audio (of the person on the other end)
directly from the soundcard. Is this true? Where do I get the shim?

Live Security Virtual Conference
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: how to use audacity to record a skype conversation

Bob Cavanaugh

This is a very good question. However, I do not know the answer. What I would suggest is to have the other person hold on while you switch from mic to stereo mix in Audacity, or put your mic so that it picks up speakers, but there has to be a better way than that.

Re: how to use audacity to record a skype conversation

Reid Zak
I'd try looking here: (these are programs that don't use Audacity; you can import your audio into Audacity when you're finished though)

--Reid

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM, bob cavanaugh <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is a very good question. However, I do not know the answer. What I would suggest is to have the other person hold on while you switch from mic to stereo mix in Audacity, or put your mic so that it picks up speakers, but there has to be a better way than that.

Re: how to use audacity to record a skype conversation

Mitch Hill
On 5/16/2012 6:14 PM, Reid Zak wrote:
> I'd try looking here: (these are programs that don't use Audacity; you can
> import your audio into Audacity when you're finished though)
> http://thenextweb.com/apps/2011/02/09/5-great-ways-to-record-skype-calls/
>
> --Reid

I don't use Skype however I have the sound card in my computer selected
as a device in Audacity so I can use Audacity to record from other
functions/software applications internally, so why wouldn't this work to
record Skype conversations?

Or am I missing something in my lack of knowledge of Skype?

I'm curious as my computer came with Skype on it and at this point I've
not had a need to use it...

Mitch Hill

(Sent from HP DV6T)

Live Security Virtual Conference
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: how to use audacity to record a skype conversation

JD-3
External speakers? Naaaah!
Feeds the the other party's voice back to him/her/

On 05/16/2012 05:20 PM, Mitch Hill wrote:
On 5/16/2012 6:14 PM, Reid Zak wrote:
I'd try looking here: (these are programs that don't use Audacity; you can
import your audio into Audacity when you're finished though)
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2011/02/09/5-great-ways-to-record-skype-calls/

--Reid

I don't use Skype however I have the sound card in my computer selected
as a device in Audacity so I can use Audacity to record from other
functions/software applications internally, so why wouldn't this work to
record Skype conversations?

Or am I missing something in my lack of knowledge of Skype?

I'm curious as my computer came with Skype on it and at this point I've
not had a need to use it...

That would only work if the sound card's mic input and audio output are channeled to audacity.

For all other who might be interested, I found this app:

Source code: skype-call-recorder-0.8.tar.gz
Fedora/Redhat rpm: skype-call-recorder-0.8-1.i386.rpm

Live Security Virtual Conference
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: how to use audacity to record a skype conversation

Mick Fuzz
That would only work if the sound card's mic input and audio output are channeled to audacity.

For all other who might be interested, I found this app:

Source code: skype-call-recorder-0.8.tar.gz
Fedora/Redhat rpm: skype-call-recorder-0.8-1.i386.rpm

I just got this working on Mint Linux as well - and I think that it's not too hard with debian and ubuntu also.
Thanks for the tip!

This looks a lot easier than a really complicated method of doing it with Jack audio that I found too.