Quantcast

increase recording volume?

Henrik Jonsson-2
Hi...

1. The source I record from has very low volume. What can I do to increase the volume when recording?

Kind regards/Henrik

Re: increase recording volume?

Gale Andrews

    | From "Henrik Jonsson" <[hidden email]>
    | Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:14:01 +0200
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] increase recording volume?
    | The source I record from has very low volume. What can
    | I do to increase the volume when recording?

You can adjust the input volume of the recording source with the
input volume slider (by the microphone symbol) on the mixer toolbar
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_mixer.htm

It's always a good idea to test the level of a recording before making
it for real. To do this:

Right-click on the downward pointing arrow in the right hand (red)
recording level meters
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/onlinehelp-1.2/toolbar_meter.htm

and click "monitor input". While speaking into your microphone loudly
or playing your recording source loudly, adjust the input volume
slider on the mixer toolbar so the recording meters are almost reaching
the far right hand side (but not far enough to bring the red hold
lights on). If the recording level meters are not visible, click Edit >
Preferences> Interface> Enable Meter Toolbar.

If possible you should adjust the output volume of your source so
that at its loudest, it brings the recording level meters close to the
right hand side when you have the input volume slider set to around
a half way position. This should give you the best combination of a
good signal to noise ratio without the impression that the sound is
"on top of " or "too close to" the listener (unless of course you want
that effect).

If you have any further questions, please tell us what operating system
you are on (e.g. Windows XP,  OS X 10.4), what version of Audacity
you are using (see Help > About in the program), and what source you
are recording from.

Gale Andrews
.

Outbound message virus free.