Quantcast

microsoft sound mapper/audio input

animefreke101
ive used audacity for about a year or so now on my desktop(windows xp sp.2) and had no problem recording whatever i wanted. i just got a new laptop though(windows vista professional) and even though i have set the same input, the microsoft sound mapper, i cant get it to record; i flatline, unless using a microphone. though then the quality is TERRIBLE, so thats not really an option. ive looked over the guides and whatnot but everything seems to be set for xp, does audacity just not work with vista yet?

Re: microsoft sound mapper/audio input

audacity-help mailing list

    | From animefreke101
    | Wed, 1 Aug 2007 07:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] microsoft sound mapper/audio input
    | ive used audacity for about a year or so now on my desktop(windows
    | xp sp.2)
    | and had no problem recording whatever i wanted. i just got a new laptop
    | though(windows vista professional) and even though i have set the same
    | input, the microsoft sound mapper, i cant get it to record; i flatline,
    | unless using a microphone. though then the quality is TERRIBLE, so
    | thats not really an option. ive looked over the guides and whatnot but
    | everything seems to be set for xp, does audacity just not work with
    | vista yet?

Audacity does work with Vista, if you have appropriate sound device drivers
that are both specifically meant for Vista and specific to your sound device.
Please see this page for more advice on Audacity and Vista:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Windows_Vista_OS

What input or source do you want to record from e.g. sound that is playing
on the computer, a record player or what? Please choose the exact input
you want to record from e.g. "Line-in: High definition audio device" in the
Recording Device dropdown in the Audio I/O tab of Audacity Preferences.
Don't choose SoundMapper, as that only gives you whatever the current
Windows default device is, or if you have driver problems may give you
nothing at all.

If the input you want won't record, or if you don't see the input you want
in the Recording Device dropdown, go to the Recording tab of "Sound" in
the Windows Control Panel, ensure all the available inputs are enabled, then
select the input you want there and turn its volume up. For help on this
please see:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#Using_the_Control_Panel

If you still have problems then update the sound device drivers using the
information on our Vista Help page i.e. here:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Windows_Vista_OS#Vista_Sound_Device_Drivers

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 8/1/2007 8:19:58 PM

Re: microsoft sound mapper/audio input

animefreke101
im trying to record sound playing on the computer. i checked the recording
tab under sound on the control panel and it shows are the microphone for my
cam. and a microphone/line.

> [...]
>select the input you want there and turn its volume up. For help on this
>please see:
>http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#Using_the_Control_Panel
>
>If you still have problems then update the sound device drivers using the
>information on our Vista Help page i.e. here:
>http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Windows_Vista_OS#Vista_Sound_Device_Drivers
>

>Gale Andrews
>

>Outbound message virus free.
>Tested on: 8/1/2007 8:19:58 PM

Re: microsoft sound mapper/audio input

audacity-help mailing list

    | From dur ...
    | Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:35:12 -0500
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] microsoft sound mapper/audio input
    | im trying to record sound playing on the computer. i checked the recording
    | tab under sound on the control panel and it shows are the microphone for

So have you fully followed the instructions on:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#Using_the_Control_Panel

as I suggested, i.e. on the Recording tab of Sound, right-clicked over any
device in the list , and put a check mark by "Show Disabled Devices" and
"Show Disconnected Devices"? Does that give you an appropriate option you
can select for recording the computer output e.g. called "stereo mix",
"what U hear", "Sum", "Loopback", "Wave Out" or similar?

If not, or if you get such an option but it won't record, then you should try
updating the sound device drivers using the previously supplied link on our
Vista Help page here:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Windows_Vista_OS#Vista_Sound_Device_Drivers

If your sound device really has no "stereo mix" option (even after a driver
update), you can also try running a cable from the line-out (green) port on
the the computer to the line-in (blue), and choose the line-in source in the
Audio I/O tab of Audacity Preferences. This will mean you cannot hear what
you are recording, but you can buy a single stereo to double stereo adaptor
to plug into the line-out jack that will give you a spare jack to plug the
speakers into whilst you are feeding the computer output to the line-in.
If your laptop has no line-in, then as another alternative you can buy an
external USB soundcard that will give you a "stereo mix" type option (but
check if it is compatible with Vista).

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 8/2/2007 8:36:00 PM