pops and clicks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pops and clicks

katherat
Is there a way to use audacity to remove pops and
clicks such as from files recorded from LPs?

Would a plug-in be necessary?

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

Sarah-25
I don't know. try a hi pass at around 200hz. Good luck, and I hope that
helped.

SA
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Boni" <[hidden email]>
To: "Audacity" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 5:56 PM
Subject: [Audacity-users] pops and clicks


> Is there a way to use audacity to remove pops and
> clicks such as from files recorded from LPs?
>
> Would a plug-in be necessary?
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
> from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
> informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
> speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
> --
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users 



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Incremental recording volume

Gale
Administrator
 I made some recordings from vinyl today (for the first time) and they were successful but I could not use Audacity to do the recording as it seems you can only change recording volume in 10% increments and I found the ideal level was inbetween so I used up some of my free commands on Goldwave trial!   I do only have a mouse emulator, is this stopping me dragging the slider to finer gradations in Audacity? The control on the soundcard or windows control does not seem to offer finer gradations either. How do visually impaired users set the recording level in Audacity, can you get finer gradations with a keyboard method?  Thanks  
 
   



Outbound message certified clean.

0530-3, 29 07 2005
Tested on: 01/08/2005 04:05:32

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Incremental recording volume

Sarah-25
I usually record quietly and amplify to 0 db. That should bring it to suitable levels.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 8:05 PM
Subject: [Audacity-users] Incremental recording volume

 I made some recordings from vinyl today (for the first time) and they were successful but I could not use Audacity to do the recording as it seems you can only change recording volume in 10% increments and I found the ideal level was inbetween so I used up some of my free commands on Goldwave trial!   I do only have a mouse emulator, is this stopping me dragging the slider to finer gradations in Audacity? The control on the soundcard or windows control does not seem to offer finer gradations either. How do visually impaired users set the recording level in Audacity, can you get finer gradations with a keyboard method?  Thanks  
 
   



Outbound message certified clean.

0530-3, 29 07 2005
Tested on: 01/08/2005 04:05:32

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

Mike Staup
In reply to this post by Sarah-25
Can you be more specific in reference to
'try a hi pass at around 200hz)....I to have pops and click on a number of
my vinyl albums.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] pops and clicks


> I don't know. try a hi pass at around 200hz. Good luck, and I hope that
> helped.
>
> SA
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tom Boni" <[hidden email]>
> To: "Audacity" <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 5:56 PM
> Subject: [Audacity-users] pops and clicks
>
>
> > Is there a way to use audacity to remove pops and
> > clicks such as from files recorded from LPs?
> >
> > Would a plug-in be necessary?
> >
> > __________________________________________________
> > Do You Yahoo!?
> > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com
> >
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
> > from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
> > informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
> > speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
> > --
> > Mailing list: [hidden email]
> > To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
> from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
> informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
> speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
> --
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

Sarah-25
Everything higher then 200hz can get through. It is in the effects menu
under highpass.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Staup" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 11:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] pops and clicks


> Can you be more specific in reference to
> 'try a hi pass at around 200hz)....I to have pops and click on a number of
> my vinyl albums.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sarah" <[hidden email]>
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 7:05 PM
> Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] pops and clicks
>
>
>> I don't know. try a hi pass at around 200hz. Good luck, and I hope that
>> helped.
>>
>> SA
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Tom Boni" <[hidden email]>
>> To: "Audacity" <[hidden email]>
>> Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 5:56 PM
>> Subject: [Audacity-users] pops and clicks
>>
>>
>> > Is there a way to use audacity to remove pops and
>> > clicks such as from files recorded from LPs?
>> >
>> > Would a plug-in be necessary?
>> >
>> > __________________________________________________
>> > Do You Yahoo!?
>> > Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
>> > http://mail.yahoo.com
>> >
>> >
>> > -------------------------------------------------------
>> > SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
>> > from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
>> > informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
>> > speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
>> > --
>> > Mailing list: [hidden email]
>> > To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
>> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
>>
>>
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------
>> SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
>> from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
>> informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
>> speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
>> --
>> Mailing list: [hidden email]
>> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
> from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
> informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
> speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
> --
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users 



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

gomez-3
In reply to this post by katherat
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:56:48 -0700 (PDT), Tom Boni wrote:

>Is there a way to use audacity to remove pops and
>clicks such as from files recorded from LPs?

me too I've recorded some LP whit pops&clics, the better
manner to eliminate I trhing it is to search the single click,
select it, and amplify it to -20 or more til it disappear...

very slow job but good results ;-)

before of course I've tried some automated pop remover but
whit pooooooooooor results... :-(

>Would a plug-in be necessary?

I dont know a _intelligent_ plugin, it dont exist, perhaps,
because it would understand the difference between a pop
versus a fast musical signal like a percussion (speed of
growing, signal duration and so on, I'm not a musician
nor a programmer)

Mauro

-----------------------------
"Partenza salvaguardata - ClonyXXL, con l'apertura seconda nicht fini
della destra o e' caduto. Ursache potrebbero essere Aspitdrives sbagliati
- Clony senza aspis - Be prossime aperture" (Mex di errore di ClonyCDXXL)
-----------------------------




-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

Jack Cook-2
In reply to this post by Mike Staup
I have two methods that work well with snaps and pops in recordings from vinyl. I deal with them individually, so it's a bit of work, but I dont' really think there is a good way to do it by applying a filter to the whole file. I think that affects the quality of the music. Anyway, here's what I do:

1. The first way is to redraw the curve by hand. This is fairly tedious, but works pretty well. Select the pop or click- it usually looks like a spike in the waveform. Zoom in until you see the dots on the line. Then you can redraw the line as a more or less straight line, eliminating the pop. You have to do this for each pop.

2. The other way is quicker and also effective. Select the spike, and zoom in, but you don't have to zoom in as far as above. Usually you'll need to reselect  the spike once you zoom in so as to only select the spike itself and not the surrounding area. Then choose the Amplify command from the Effects menu. With the spike only selected, drag the slider in the Amplification box to the left until the number in the top part reads about -10 or so (maybe more if the spike is really large). This will DE-amplify the pop. You don't have to worry about losing music because the duration of the pop is very small, on the order of milliseconds. You can do it this way repeatedly by using the Repeat Amplify command. Once again, you do have to do this to each pop.

Also, I usually use the envelope tool to bring the space between songs down to 0. That way you don't have to deal with pops that occur in the spaces between songs, and it gets rid of that vinyl hiss.

This is how I do it. Hope it helps.

Jack


 Is there a way to use audacity to remove pops and
clicks such as from files recorded from LPs?

Would a plug-in be necessary?

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
-- 
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
      

-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
-- 
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
    



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
  

-- 
***************************************************************

John E. Cook	
Graphic Services
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
MS#5, 266 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA, USA 02543
email: [hidden email]
phone: 508-289-4837
fax: 508-457-2182
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

Anders Holmberg
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 6:09 PM
wONDER IF THIS WILL WORK WITH SCREENREADERS.
It sounds intresting anyway.
But i have a question.
I can't seem to find the highpassfilter in the efects menu.
Maybe i have to downloade it for somewhere.
/Anders.
Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] pops and clicks

I have two methods that work well with snaps and pops in recordings from vinyl. I deal with them individually, so it's a bit of work, but I dont' really think there is a good way to do it by applying a filter to the whole file. I think that affects the quality of the music. Anyway, here's what I do:

1. The first way is to redraw the curve by hand. This is fairly tedious, but works pretty well. Select the pop or click- it usually looks like a spike in the waveform. Zoom in until you see the dots on the line. Then you can redraw the line as a more or less straight line, eliminating the pop. You have to do this for each pop.

2. The other way is quicker and also effective. Select the spike, and zoom in, but you don't have to zoom in as far as above. Usually you'll need to reselect  the spike once you zoom in so as to only select the spike itself and not the surrounding area. Then choose the Amplify command from the Effects menu. With the spike only selected, drag the slider in the Amplification box to the left until the number in the top part reads about -10 or so (maybe more if the spike is really large). This will DE-amplify the pop. You don't have to worry about losing music because the duration of the pop is very small, on the order of milliseconds. You can do it this way repeatedly by using the Repeat Amplify command. Once again, you do have to do this to each pop.

Also, I usually use the envelope tool to bring the space between songs down to 0. That way you don't have to deal with pops that occur in the spaces between songs, and it gets rid of that vinyl hiss.

This is how I do it. Hope it helps.

Jack


 Is there a way to use audacity to remove pops and
clicks such as from files recorded from LPs?

Would a plug-in be necessary?

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
-- 
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
      
-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
-- 
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
    



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
  

-- 
***************************************************************

John E. Cook	
Graphic Services
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
MS#5, 266 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA, USA 02543
email: [hidden email]
phone: 508-289-4837
fax: 508-457-2182
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

Vaughan Johnson
Administrator
The high pass filter should appear in the Effects menu (below the line
separating built-in effects from plug-ins -- so there are 2 alphabetical
orderings there) as "High Pass Filter". Is there a "highpass.ny" in your
"Audacity/plug-ins" folder?

-Vaughan


 Anders Holmberg wrote:

>  
>
>     ----- Original Message -----
>     *From:* Jack Cook <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     *To:* [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     *Sent:* Monday, August 01, 2005 6:09 PM
>     *wONDER IF THIS WILL WORK WITH SCREENREADERS.*
>     *It sounds intresting anyway.*
>     *But i have a question.*
>     *I can't seem to find the highpassfilter in the efects menu.*
>     *Maybe i have to downloade it for somewhere.*
>     */Anders.*
>     *Subject:* Re: [Audacity-users] pops and clicks
>
>     I have two methods that work well with snaps and pops in
>     recordings from vinyl. I deal with them individually, so it's a
>     bit of work, but I dont' really think there is a good way to do it
>     by applying a filter to the whole file. I think that affects the
>     quality of the music. Anyway, here's what I do:
>
>     1. The first way is to redraw the curve by hand. This is fairly
>     tedious, but works pretty well. Select the pop or click- it
>     usually looks like a spike in the waveform. Zoom in until you see
>     the dots on the line. Then you can redraw the line as a more or
>     less straight line, eliminating the pop. You have to do this for
>     each pop.
>
>     2. The other way is quicker and also effective. Select the spike,
>     and zoom in, but you don't have to zoom in as far as above.
>     Usually you'll need to reselect  the spike once you zoom in so as
>     to only select the spike itself and not the surrounding area. Then
>     choose the Amplify command from the Effects menu. With the spike
>     only selected, drag the slider in the Amplification box to the
>     left until the number in the top part reads about -10 or so (maybe
>     more if the spike is really large). This will DE-amplify the pop.
>     You don't have to worry about losing music because the duration of
>     the pop is very small, on the order of milliseconds. You can do it
>     this way repeatedly by using the Repeat Amplify command. Once
>     again, you do have to do this to each pop.
>
>     Also, I usually use the envelope tool to bring the space between
>     songs down to 0. That way you don't have to deal with pops that
>     occur in the spaces between songs, and it gets rid of that vinyl hiss.
>
>     This is how I do it. Hope it helps.
>
>     Jack
>
>
>>>> Is there a way to use audacity to remove pops and
>>>>clicks such as from files recorded from LPs?
>>>>
>>>>Would a plug-in be necessary?
>>>>          
>>>>
>


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: Discover Easy Linux Migration Strategies
from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps, straightforward articles,
informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you need to get up to
speed, fast. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7477&alloc_id=16492&op=click
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

xiphmont
In reply to this post by Sarah-25



On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 07:05:14PM -0700, Sarah wrote:
> I don't know. try a hi pass at around 200hz. Good luck, and I hope that
> helped.

Sarah, can you please stop feeding newbies answers that make no sense
whatsoever?  I understand you've got the best of intentions, but this
has become a continuous thing, and it isn't helping users to send them
off on wild goose chases.

Monty


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

xiphmont
In reply to this post by Jack Cook-2



On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 12:09:44PM -0400, Jack Cook wrote:
> 1. The first way is to redraw the curve by hand. This is fairly tedious,
> but works pretty well. Select the pop or click- it usually looks like a
> spike in the waveform. Zoom in until you see the dots on the line. Then
> you can redraw the line as a more or less straight line, eliminating the
> pop. You have to do this for each pop.

This does work to an extent, although it's harder than you think.  To
see the problem, set the Spectrogram preferences block size down way
low (like 16 to 64 samples) and look at the redrawn area.  Because the
treble is often a good 50dB or more lower than the low frequencies,
despite it looking like a perfectly clean reconstruction, there will
still be some pop there.  It will be much better though.

Monty



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

Phil Nelson-2
In reply to this post by xiphmont
Monty wrote:

>
>On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 07:05:14PM -0700, Sarah wrote:
>  
>
>>I don't know. try a hi pass at around 200hz. Good luck, and I hope that
>>helped.
>>    
>>
>
>Sarah, can you please stop feeding newbies answers that make no sense
>whatsoever?  I understand you've got the best of intentions, but this
>has become a continuous thing, and it isn't helping users to send them
>off on wild goose chases.
>
>Monty
>
>  
>

This seems way too harsh, Monty. Also, I can't agree that the suggestion
makes
"no sense whatsoever". I often start with a high-pass when working on
pops and
thumps from plosives and mic handling errors. It doesn't fix everything, but
applied selectively, it helps. I suppose it would be somewhat helpful on
pops
and even clicks from LPs.

--
Phil Nelson



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

Graham Mitchell
> This seems way too harsh, Monty. Also, I can't agree that the suggestion
> makes "no sense whatsoever". I often start with a high-pass when working on
> pops and thumps from plosives...

Yes, but you know what a highpass filter is, *and* how to apply it.

The original question was "Is there a way to use audacity to remove pops and
clicks such as from files recorded from LPs?"  Her reply was, simply, "try a
hi pass at around 200hz."

If you don't know what a highpass filter is, this isn't very helpful.  There
is no mention of specific menus, what and how much audio to highlight before
using the filter, etc.  In fact, this response creates more questions than
answers, which is why Monty called it a "wild goose chase".

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
How about a cheer for all those bad girls
And all the boys that play that rock and roll
They love it like you love Jesus
It does the same thing to their souls
        -- Tom Petty, in "Have Love Will Travel"


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

Phil Nelson-2
Graham Mitchell wrote:

>>This seems way too harsh, Monty. Also, I can't agree that the suggestion
>>makes "no sense whatsoever". I often start with a high-pass when working on
>>pops and thumps from plosives...
>>    
>>
>
>Yes, but you know what a highpass filter is, *and* how to apply it.
>
>  
>
[...]

Not really relevant to my point. I don't really want to get into a
debate on the usefulness
of anyones advice, I just thought something should be said.

--
Phil Nelson


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

David Hostetler-3
In reply to this post by Phil Nelson-2

Monty and then Phil wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Nelson" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 4:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] pops and clicks


> Monty wrote:
>
>>
>>On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 07:05:14PM -0700, Sarah wrote:
>>
>>>I don't know. try a hi pass at around 200hz. Good luck, and I hope that
>>>helped.
>>>
>>
>>Sarah, can you please stop feeding newbies answers that make no sense
>>whatsoever?  I understand you've got the best of intentions, but this
>>has become a continuous thing, and it isn't helping users to send them
>>off on wild goose chases.
>>
>>Monty
>>
>>
>
> This seems way too harsh, Monty. Also, I can't agree that the suggestion
> makes
> "no sense whatsoever". I often start with a high-pass when working on pops
> and
> thumps from plosives and mic handling errors. It doesn't fix everything,
> but
> applied selectively, it helps. I suppose it would be somewhat helpful on
> pops
> and even clicks from LPs.
>
> --
> Phil Nelson
>
>

I put together this reply Sat night, but it didn't go through since it was
too big (with the attachment refered to below), so I will put the attachment
in the next message:

Those of us who have been on the list for a while know that Sarah is blind,
uses a screen reader, is taking some sort of audio mixing/recording course
and is a vocal performer herself. We also know that she often jumps in with
an answer to many questions where it is clear that she doesn't have the
experience or knowledge to answer. This is just one of many times that this
has happened and for myself I just try to ignore it, but it clearly is a
disservice to users looking for guidance. On the plus side, sort of, her
answers may trigger someone else to jump in and help correct the wrong info
sooner than they might have without her message, a sort of catalyst, if you
will.

My suggestion to Sarah, and really to all on this list, is to hold off on
giving an answer if you haven't had experience in the area and solved or
tried to solve the same type of problem yourself. If no one answers the
inquiry after half a day to a day, then give what response you have. If you
end up starting your message with "I don't know..." (as Sarah did in this
case) or the ever popular "This is just a guess...", then you should
probably close your email creation window right away and go Google up enough
info so you know a little something.

OK, maybe you have an idea of what you
think the solution is, but you have never tried it yourself; go figure out a
way to try it. Finally, don't just throw out your suggestion as in "try a
high pass filter", explain at least a little bit what this will do and how
it will solve the problem. Again, starting with "I don't know why this
works..." is a potential clue that you need to get a better understanding
before pushing out an answer. Providing an explanation helps people build
their knowledge base and understand how to solve future problems.

OK, there seems to be some question if Sarah's suggestion "made no sense
whatsoever".

First the class lecture, then the lab assignment.

OK, we are talking pops and clicks on a record. I think that most of them
sound more like clicks or ticks, although the really bad ones might be
called pops. Well I didn't want to drag out a turntable and scratch a record
just to verify this, but I made a sample (attached to the next message)
using the white noise
function of Audacity and manually drew in a click. Load the click.wav file
into Audacity and have a listen. I find it useful to "loop play" it so it
repeats (hold down shift when clicking the play button). I made this sample
by doing a generate white noise, then turning down the level to about -15dB
and doing a quick mix, then zooming the waveform until I could see the
individual samples, I used the draw tool to make about 30 samples hit the
max positive. Sounds like the clicks I remember from the good old days!

So what are the characteristics of this click? In the time domain it is a
high amplitude, narrow pulse. In the frequency domain, its spectrum is
spread somewhat evenly over the entire audio spectrum (sorry, the proof of
this is beyond this short tutorial, but learning a little about time domain
to frequency domain transforms and also the frequency ranges of voice and
the various instruments will go a long way toward making good judgments when
trying to fix audio problems). Pay attention now, here is why filtering in
the frequency domain (high pass, low pass, whatever pass) can't really dent
this problem: the frequency spectrum of the pulse is everywhere, high, low,
mid,
mid-low, mid-high. To eliminate the click you have to filter out everything
and have nothing left, no music, no speech, nada.

So Sarah's suggestion to high pass filter at 200 Hz takes out very little of
the click, but does take out bass drum, bass guitar and the best, window
shaking, parts of organs.

As the thread developed, the right answers did surface. The best of these
solutions, as I recall, was the time domain approach of using the draw tool
to take out the narrow pulses in the reverse of what I did to create one. Of
course this is very tedious and time consuming, but works as well as
possible under the conditions. I believe that there are some programs
available that automate this task, but I am not familiar with them.

So, yes I concur completely that Sarah's suggestion "made no sense
whatsoever" and after you complete the lab assignment, you will also .

The lab exercise is to take the supplied click.wav sample and try various
approaches to getting rid of the click. If you figure out a method that
removes some or all of the click, you may want to open a music or vocal
track that you have available on your computer and draw in some clicks and
try your approach to see how it effects the content of the track; did any
instrument or sound go missing?

No, you don't have to turn in a lab report and I am certainly *not* grading
them!

PS: Re: Phil's comments: He talks about thumps and mike handling noise.
These
sounds are more concentrated in the lower frequencies, without much high
frequency content and high pass filtering *will* help here as long as we are
talking vocal pickup, where the voice range starts around 200 to 300 Hz. In
fact, most sound mixer boards have a low cut button on each channel that
engages a 75 - 80 Hz high pass filter that is intended to limit handling
noise and sound transmitted to the mike through the stand, if you are using
the mike to pick up any instrument with low frequency content, you shouldn't
use this feature.





-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

steensby
In reply to this post by katherat
It's really impossible to filter out a pop or a click, for the
reasons that David Hostetler presents. The best way to remove a click
is to model the music; anything which is not music is likely to be
noise if removed should leave only music.

A new declicker utility based on this approach appeared recently.
I've tried it and find that if used intelligently it does an
excellent job. It can have trouble with certain sounds, e.g. brass
instruments, certain "edgy" voices, etc. But nothing's perfect. It's
a stand-alone application at the moment; a VST / Audiounit plugin is
in development.

It can even remove short-duration thumps, something which I've not
found any other utility can do. Previously I had to resort to
filtering out low frequencies, which can leave a hole in the spectrum
if you're not careful. (Now someone'll point out a dethumper plugin
to me!)

It's worth a try. Get it at <http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~briand>

Walter


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

Phil Nelson-2
In reply to this post by David Hostetler-3
David Hostetler wrote:

>
> Monty and then Phil wrote:
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Nelson"
> <[hidden email]>
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 4:39 PM
> Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] pops and clicks
>
>
>> Monty wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 07:05:14PM -0700, Sarah wrote:
>>>
>>>> I don't know. try a hi pass at around 200hz. Good luck, and I hope
>>>> that helped.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Sarah, can you please stop feeding newbies answers that make no sense
>>> whatsoever?  I understand you've got the best of intentions, but this
>>> has become a continuous thing, and it isn't helping users to send them
>>> off on wild goose chases.
>>>
>>> Monty
>>>
>>>
>>
>> This seems way too harsh, Monty. Also, I can't agree that the
>> suggestion makes
>> "no sense whatsoever". I often start with a high-pass when working on
>> pops and
>> thumps from plosives and mic handling errors. It doesn't fix
>> everything, but
>> applied selectively, it helps. I suppose it would be somewhat helpful
>> on pops
>> and even clicks from LPs.
>>
>> --
>> Phil Nelson
>>
>>
>
> I put together this reply Sat night, but it didn't go through since it
> was too big (with the attachment refered to below), so I will put the
> attachment in the next message:
>
> Those of us who have been on the list for a while know that Sarah is
> blind,
> uses a screen reader, is taking some sort of audio mixing/recording
> course

[...]

Another thing we all know is that the internet is hard on newbies. We
were all there once. I recommend trying to remember how it feels before
engaging in public criticism of individuals.

> PS: Re: Phil's comments: He talks about thumps and mike handling
> noise. These
> sounds are more concentrated in the lower frequencies, without much high
> frequency content and high pass filtering *will* help here as long as
> we are
> talking vocal pickup, where the voice range starts around 200 to 300
> Hz. In
> fact, most sound mixer boards have a low cut button on each channel that
> engages a 75 - 80 Hz high pass filter that is intended to limit handling
> noise and sound transmitted to the mike through the stand, if you are
> using
> the mike to pick up any instrument with low frequency content, you
> shouldn't
> use this feature.


I should make clear that the use of high pass I mentioned is confined
just to the pop, not the whole recording. It works pretty well even if
the pop coincides with speech, if you filter just a word it isn't that
noticeable. Obviously this isn't a magic bullet, but used carefully, it
can be better than nothing, at least to my ear.

--
Phil Nelson


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pops and clicks

xiphmont
In reply to this post by Phil Nelson-2



On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 04:39:03PM -0700, Phil Nelson wrote:

> This seems way too harsh, Monty.

It was indeed too harsh. Gentler hints have gone unnoticed, not sure
if that's justification or not.

For what it's worth, I am indeed thinking of the newbies here.  I have
a pet peeve about people who send newbies off on wild goose chase for
whatever reason.  

> Also, I can't agree that the suggestion
> makes
> "no sense whatsoever". I often start with a high-pass when working on
> pops and
> thumps from plosives and mic handling errors.

We're not talking about thumps or plosives.

A thump or a plosive is predominantly low frequency energy, nearly all
the way down to DC. A transient highpass here does make sense.

A pop or a click is predominantly added HF energy... well, actually, a
pop or a click is generally nearly constant amplitude by frequency (a
click in isolation will be nearly flat across the spectrum) and as
most natural audio content has decaying amplitude as frequency
increases, the pop/click is most noticable as a high frequency
addition.  

> I suppose it would be somewhat helpful on
> pops
> and even clicks from LPs.

On an LP, it won't quite be flat because of LP preemphasis, but it's
still mostly HF energy. Highpassing is worse than useless in this
case.

Hm, this would be a good blog post topic...

Monty


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: pops and clicks

xiphmont
In reply to this post by steensby



On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 04:09:28PM +1000, steensby wrote:
> It's really impossible to filter out a pop or a click, for the
> reasons that David Hostetler presents. The best way to remove a click
> is to model the music; anything which is not music is likely to be
> noise if removed should leave only music.

Postfish's reconstruction code does in fact do this.  The hard parts
are actually detecting the click properly, and getting the whole thing
(both without mistriggering too badly).  Right now the code is used
for declipping.

> A new declicker utility based on this approach appeared recently.
> I've tried it and find that if used intelligently it does an
> excellent job. It can have trouble with certain sounds, e.g. brass
> instruments, certain "edgy" voices, etc. But nothing's perfect. It's
> a stand-alone application at the moment; a VST / Audiounit plugin is
> in development.

Heh, a whole bunch of these have appeared ever since I published
source to Postfish :-) No clue if most of them use the Postfish code
or not.

> It can even remove short-duration thumps, something which I've not
> found any other utility can do. Previously I had to resort to
> filtering out low frequencies, which can leave a hole in the spectrum
> if you're not careful. (Now someone'll point out a dethumper plugin
> to me!)
>
> It's worth a try. Get it at <http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~briand>

I'll have a look too.

Monty


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
--
Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
123