"Custom" theme looks very wrong

Paul Licameli
I just changed my theme to "Custom" and the TCP buttons look strange.

Is it because ThemeAsCeeCode.h is used, and this last was not updated for changes in the set of resources?  (Last made by me, I think, to make the sliders highlight.)

Re: "Custom" theme looks very wrong

Paul Licameli
To answer myself, I see this happened only because the state of my own "~/Application Support/audacity/Theme" directory was "dirty" -- it had a ImageCache.png file.

This could only happen to developers or other very advanced users.

PRL

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just changed my theme to "Custom" and the TCP buttons look strange.

Is it because ThemeAsCeeCode.h is used, and this last was not updated for changes in the set of resources?  (Last made by me, I think, to make the sliders highlight.)

Re: "Custom" theme looks very wrong

James Crook
On 7/16/2017 4:25 AM, Cliff Scott wrote:
> Is it safe to assume that some day the user will be able to customize the theme colors or is something else in mind like other predefined themes?

'advanced' users already can.  If we provide them with an ImageCache.png
file, they can use the Gimp to change the bitmaps and colours in it.
There is also an html file which gives labels to the colours do document
what the colours are for.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo says a bit about how and
needs to be updated (especially the zip file) and made into a page in
the manual.

--James.

> Cliff
>
>> On Jul 15, 2017, at 9:03 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> To answer myself, I see this happened only because the state of my own "~/Application Support/audacity/Theme" directory was "dirty" -- it had a ImageCache.png file.
>>
>> This could only happen to developers or other very advanced users.
>>
>> PRL
>>

>> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> I just changed my theme to "Custom" and the TCP buttons look strange.
>>
>> Is it because ThemeAsCeeCode.h is used, and this last was not updated for changes in the set of resources?  (Last made by me, I think, to make the sliders highlight.)
>>
>> PRL

Re: "Custom" theme looks very wrong

Cliff Scott
Interesting. Not for the faint of heart.

Cliff

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 11:35 AM, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/16/2017 4:25 AM, Cliff Scott wrote:
Is it safe to assume that some day the user will be able to customize the theme colors or is something else in mind like other predefined themes?

'advanced' users already can.  If we provide them with an ImageCache.png file, they can use the Gimp to change the bitmaps and colours in it.  There is also an html file which gives labels to the colours do document what the colours are for.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Theming_HowTo says a bit about how and needs to be updated (especially the zip file) and made into a page in the manual.

This is not something I can undertake - I can create the page in the Manual from the Wiki page
(as an orphan page until we get it to a ggod state).

But someone else with the right skill and knowledge will have to update it - I will happily edit it
though.

As a pro-tem measure we can link to the Wiki page from the Manual's Themes page, I'm thinking.

Cliff

On Jul 15, 2017, at 9:03 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email]> wrote:

To answer myself, I see this happened only because the state of my own "~/Application Support/audacity/Theme" directory was "dirty" -- it had a ImageCache.png file.

This could only happen to developers or other very advanced users.

PRL

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Paul Licameli <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
I just changed my theme to "Custom" and the TCP buttons look strange.

Is it because ThemeAsCeeCode.h is used, and this last was not updated for changes in the set of resources?  (Last made by me, I think, to make the sliders highlight.)

Re: "Custom" theme looks very wrong

James Crook
This has now become a discussion of what should be in the manual.

I'd suggest that Audacity 2.2.0 does not ship with the zip file for
custom theming, and that the manual contain a link to the wiki page,
rather than explain how to theme in the manual.

IF we want to, some time after 2.2.0 is out we can provide the zip file
as an additional download from FossHub, with some help instructions for
theming in it too, and do a blog post about it.

--James.