Quantcast

"Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

"Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

Peter Sampson-2
I've recently been doing some clean-up work in the Manual to bring it into line with
what we have in the application (broadly, the documentation should follow the app).

We appear ho have some discrepancies and inconsistance woth how we refer to
Loop P lay and Play-at speed

Loop Play
In the app in the tooltip  we have Loop Play
and in Preferences we also have Loop Play
The Manual used to have Loop-Play and sometimes Loop-play  (until my recent changes
still ongoing) but now I'm not so sure ...

Do we want Loop-Play hyphenated throughout for consistency with Timeline Quick-Play?
Or do we settle for the unhyphenated "Loop Play"?
Or are we just unconcerned about this level of inconsistency?

Play-at-speed
This is inconsistent in its use of hyphens or not - and in the capitalization of the
"S" in "Speed" or not.
tooltip:  "Play-at-speed"
Prefs:  "Play at speed" - and "Loop Play at speed"
Manual "Play-at-Speed" - and "Loop Play at speed"

So doe we want consistent hyphenation or not?
Do we want the capital "S" or not.
Or are we not bothered?

Cheers,

Re: "Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

Peter Sampson-2
Note too the in the Transport>Play sub-menu we have "Loop Play"

which alos leads me to note that we only have button and shortcut for
Play-at-Speed and no menu entry - do I assume that that is by design?

Re: "Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

Stevethefiddle
As "Loop Play" is consistent in the App, +1 to stay with that (and it
'looks better' to me).
"Play-at-Speed" is a "thing", distinct from "Play", so +1 for hyphenated.

I think the most important "consistency" consideration is that is that
the documentation and the application agree.

Steve

On 31 March 2017 at 15:09, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note too the in the Transport>Play sub-menu we have "Loop Play"
>

> which alos leads me to note that we only have button and shortcut for
> Play-at-Speed and no menu entry - do I assume that that is by design?
>
> Peter

Re: "Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

Peter Sampson-2
+1

Thanks Steve,  I like "Loop Play"
and I like "Play-at-Speed" (with the capital S)

So I'm guessing it should also be:  "Loop Play-at-Speed"
rather than the "Loop Play at speed" we have in the Manual and in the app in Prefs?

Peter.

Aside: I've just noticed tha atrocious typing in the title: "fuphebated" indeed <blushes deeply>

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

Thanks Steve,  I like "Loop Play"
and I like "Play-at-Speed" (with the capital S)

So I'm guessing it should also be:  "Loop Play-at-Speed"
rather than the "Loop Play at speed" we have in the Manual and in the app in Prefs?

Having looked again at Prefs I would keep this as "Loop Play at speed"
as we also have alongside it "Play Cut Preview at speed".

The current "Play at speed" below them should still bevome the hyphenated
"Play-at-Speed" because, as Steve says - it is "thing" distinct in its own right.

On 31 March 2017 at 16:40, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Peter Sampson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Thanks Steve,  I like "Loop Play"
>> and I like "Play-at-Speed" (with the capital S)
>>
>> So I'm guessing it should also be:  "Loop Play-at-Speed"
>> rather than the "Loop Play at speed" we have in the Manual and in the app
>> in Prefs?
>

> Having looked again at Prefs I would keep this as "Loop Play at speed"
> as we also have alongside it "Play Cut Preview at speed".
>
> The current "Play at speed" below them should still bevome the hyphenated
> "Play-at-Speed" because, as Steve says - it is "thing" distinct in its own
> right.

I think there is a good case for the hyphen in Prefs, if we want hyphens
for the "thing". This is because the "thing" is performing those Cut Preview
and Loop actions. CTRL-click or SHIFT-click on the "Play-at-speed" button
to see what I mean.

So:

Loop Play-at-Speed
Play Cut Preview-at-Speed
Play-at-Speed

Gale

>> Aside: I've just noticed tha atrocious typing in the title: "fuphebated"
>> indeed <blushes deeply>

Re: "Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

On 31 March 2017 at 15:09, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note too the in the Transport>Play sub-menu we have "Loop Play"
>

> which alos leads me to note that we only have button and shortcut for
> Play-at-Speed and no menu entry - do I assume that that is by design?

+1 to a menu entry for "Play-at-speed" now we have the Transport >
Play sub-menu in place.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31 March 2017 at 15:09, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note too the in the Transport>Play sub-menu we have "Loop Play"
>

> which alos leads me to note that we only have button and shortcut for
> Play-at-Speed and no menu entry - do I assume that that is by design?

+1 to a menu entry for "Play-at-speed" now we have the Transport >
Play sub-menu in place.

Does that mean that you favour the uncapitalized "s" in "speed" Gale?
I'm easy - I just want as much consistency as we can get.

Plus I'm also from that assuming you're happy with the hyphenation.

Gale wrote:
>+1 to a menu entry for "Play-at-speed" now we have the Transport >
>Play sub-menu in place.

Gale,

I think you would need to lobby Robert to include this in his Menu-reform
spreadsheet - and now would seem to be a uniquely opportune time.

Re: "Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

James Crook
On 3/31/2017 5:46 PM, Peter Sampson wrote:
> Gale wrote:
>> +1 to a menu entry for "Play-at-speed" now we have the Transport >
>> Play sub-menu in place.
> Gale,
>
> I think you would need to lobby Robert to include this in his Menu-reform
> spreadsheet - and now would seem to be a uniquely opportune time.
>
> Peter.
Surely just add it into the spreadsheet in a new column, and whoever
actually puts it in decides on / makes the change?

Besides, if the wording is agreed, and it is only a wording change, Gale
can just go and edit in Menus.cpp.

Re: "Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

I favour capitalisation "Play-at-Speed" where we refer to it in the
app. So  I agree with Steve.

I just quoted it "Play-at-speed" because that is how it is now (in
the tooltip).

Gale

On 31 March 2017 at 17:46, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gale wrote:
>>+1 to a menu entry for "Play-at-speed" now we have the Transport >
>>Play sub-menu in place.
>
> Gale,
>
> I think you would need to lobby Robert to include this in his Menu-reform
> spreadsheet - and now would seem to be a uniquely opportune time.

OK - if it is not opposed by others.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31 March 2017 at 17:46, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gale wrote:
>>+1 to a menu entry for "Play-at-speed" now we have the Transport >
>>Play sub-menu in place.
>
> Gale,
>
> I think you would need to lobby Robert to include this in his Menu-reform
> spreadsheet - and now would seem to be a uniquely opportune time.

OK - if it is not opposed by others.

+1 from me

Re: "Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

Yes I can do "-speed" to "-Speed"  wording changes if we want
them.

Play-at-Speed is an addition to the Transport Menu  - it's not
there now.

Probably Robert's radar will have picked this up anyway.

Gale

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
I favour capitalisation "Play-at-Speed" where we refer to it in the
app. So  I agree with Steve.

OK I'll go with that  :-))

I've already sorted the "Loop Play" so app and Manual are in line.

Both noted in Connie for future reference

I just quoted it "Play-at-speed" because that is how it is now (in
the tooltip).

Gale

On 31 March 2017 at 17:26, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 31 March 2017 at 15:09, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Note too the in the Transport>Play sub-menu we have "Loop Play"
>> >

>> > which alos leads me to note that we only have button and shortcut for
>> > Play-at-Speed and no menu entry - do I assume that that is by design?
>>
>> +1 to a menu entry for "Play-at-speed" now we have the Transport >
>> Play sub-menu in place.
>

> Does that mean that you favour the uncapitalized "s" in "speed" Gale?
> I'm easy - I just want as much consistency as we can get.
>
> Plus I'm also from that assuming you're happy with the hyphenation.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter.

Re: "Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

Robert Hänggi
> Yes I can do "-speed" to "-Speed"  wording changes if we want
> them.
>
> Play-at-Speed is an addition to the Transport Menu  - it's not
> there now.
>
> Probably Robert's radar will have picked this up anyway.

Sure enough, works like a charm, my radar. ;)

I think that there are some other Capitalization issues and that's why
I've mentioned it globally besides "Other Commands".

Everyone is invited to use the "Changed Name" column to remedy
discrepancies that I've overlooked or wasn't sure about.

Cheers
Robert

> Gale
>

> On 31 March 2017 at 18:13, James Crook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Gale,
>>>
>>> I think you would need to lobby Robert to include this in his
>>> Menu-reform
>>> spreadsheet - and now would seem to be a uniquely opportune time.
>>>
>>> Peter.
>> Surely just add it into the spreadsheet in a new column, and whoever
>> actually puts it in decides on / makes the change?
>>
>> Besides, if the wording is agreed, and it is only a wording change, Gale
>> can just go and edit in Menus.cpp.
>>
>> --James.

Re: "Loop Play" or the hyphenated "Loop-Play" ? and Play-at-speed, fuphebated or not

Peter Sampson-2
Since we already rapidly achieved QA consensus I have added the
"Play-at-Speed" changesdirect to Wiki>Wording rather than bothering
with the Talk page.  See:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Wording#Tooltips

Cheers,