Quantcast

"Portable Settins" [sic] folder

Peter Sampson-2
Comparitively recentlt the nightly downloads of Audacity (tesing in W10)
have acquired a new additional folder called "Portable Settins"

1) For a start should that not be correctly spelled with a trailing "g" as "Portable Settings"?

2) Secondly it appears to contain a second "Plug-Ins" folder that contains just two of Paul's
plug-ins:  DeClicker and DeEsser.  The top-level original Plug-Ins folder is stll there and
contains all the normal plug-ins

3) I can see no method of activating these two new ones from within the Audacity GUI - using
the Add/Remove Plug-Ins plug-in manager - they are not visible, not accessible there.

4) So what is the purpose of this new folder and how is it supposed to work?

Cheers,

Re: "Portable Settins" [sic] folder

Cliff Scott
Where is the folder located in the tree?

I just did a build from the latest source and don't see that folder. I do see, however a duplicate "plug-ins" folder(plug-ins inside the plug-ins folder) on my Mac install. This as you recall I'm sure, was an issue that cropped up in 2.1.3 that somehow was taken care of during the final builds, but apparently still lurks beneath the surface.

Cliff

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 4:11 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Comparitively recentlt the nightly downloads of Audacity (tesing in W10)
> have acquired a new additional folder called "Portable Settins"
>

> 1) For a start should that not be correctly spelled with a trailing "g" as "Portable Settings"?
>
> 2) Secondly it appears to contain a second "Plug-Ins" folder that contains just two of Paul's
> plug-ins:  DeClicker and DeEsser.  The top-level original Plug-Ins folder is stll there and
> contains all the normal plug-ins
>
> 3) I can see no method of activating these two new ones from within the Audacity GUI - using
> the Add/Remove Plug-Ins plug-in manager - they are not visible, not accessible there.
>
> 4) So what is the purpose of this new folder and how is it supposed to work?
>
> Cheers,
> Peter.

Re: "Portable Settins" [sic] folder

Peter Sampson-2
See attachment for location Cliff

Settins.png (60K) Download Attachment

Re: "Portable Settins" [sic] folder

Cliff Scott
Ok. I suspect if you fixed the spelling that you would be able to access the plugins. Don't know why the folder is there in the first place as it isn't here on my Mac build I just did.

Do you see the duplicate "plug-ins" folder in side the "plug-ins" folder just above the Portable Settins folder in your tree?

Cliff

On Apr 6, 2017, at 8:54 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:

See attachment for location Cliff

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where is the folder located in the tree?

I just did a build from the latest source and don't see that folder. I do see, however a duplicate "plug-ins" folder(plug-ins inside the plug-ins folder) on my Mac install. This as you recall I'm sure, was an issue that cropped up in 2.1.3 that somehow was taken care of during the final builds, but apparently still lurks beneath the surface.

Cliff

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 4:11 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Comparitively recentlt the nightly downloads of Audacity (tesing in W10)
> have acquired a new additional folder called "Portable Settins"
>

> 1) For a start should that not be correctly spelled with a trailing "g" as "Portable Settings"?
>
> 2) Secondly it appears to contain a second "Plug-Ins" folder that contains just two of Paul's
> plug-ins:  DeClicker and DeEsser.  The top-level original Plug-Ins folder is stll there and
> contains all the normal plug-ins
>
> 3) I can see no method of activating these two new ones from within the Audacity GUI - using
> the Add/Remove Plug-Ins plug-in manager - they are not visible, not accessible there.
>
> 4) So what is the purpose of this new folder and how is it supposed to work?
>
> Cheers,
> Peter.

Re: "Portable Settins" [sic] folder

Peter Sampson-2
No see attachment fpor what I see

Cliff wrote:
>Ok. I suspect if you fixed the spelling that you would be able to access the plugins.

I have no intention of retro-changing the folder name mandraullically.

This is by way of an alert for whoever created that folder as part of the latest nightly builds.

And a question on how it's supposed to work.

Plug-ins.png (94K) Download Attachment

Re: "Portable Settins" [sic] folder

Bill Wharrie
I thought the “Portable Settings” folder was deprecated in 2.1.3 as part of the move to a “bundled” application. It certainly behaves that way.

— Bill

> On 2017/04/06, at 10:42 AM, Peter Sampson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No see attachment fpor what I see
>
> Cliff wrote:
> >Ok. I suspect if you fixed the spelling that you would be able to access the plugins.
>
> I have no intention of retro-changing the folder name mandraullically.
>
> This is by way of an alert for whoever created that folder as part of the latest nightly builds.
>
> And a question on how it's supposed to work.
>
> Peter.
> <Plug-ins.png>------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: "Portable Settins" [sic] folder

Thanks, Peter.

"Portable Settins" is not meant to be in the zip file. Unfortunately
it seems the 7z command-line executable I call in my script includes
all folders that are present in the top level even if I've specified
the folders to include.

So, I've now tweaked the 7z command to exclude Portable* folders
when making the zip.

Portable Settings are not deprecated. They still work and are still
documented:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/preferences.html#portable .

They are of course now more fiddly to get at on Mac.

Gale