Quantcast

removing pops and crackle.....

gary alessi
i am a newbie......i want to record my vinal  lps into audacity, and remove the pops and scratches as i do so... i have tried on my first lp....but when i use the pop and scratch removing  tool at it's maximum, i get a horrible distorted  sounding signal.... when i use at 3/4 to 7/8  max on both sliders... i hear lots of pops left.....i belive i am using 126...on a power pc g4 power mac.....are there any noise removal software that can be recomended to remove all or nearly all the pops , without distorting the signal? thanks,  gary alessi

Re: removing pops and crackle.....

gary alessi wrote:

> i am a newbie......i want to record my vinal  lps into audacity, and remove
> the pops and scratches as i do so... i have tried on my first lp....but when
> i use the pop and scratch removing  tool at it's maximum, i get a horrible
> distorted  sounding signal.... when i use at 3/4 to 7/8  max on both
> sliders... i hear lots of pops left.....i belive i am using 126...on a power
> pc g4 power mac.....are there any noise removal software that can be
> recomended to remove all or nearly all the pops , without distorting the
> signal?

Audacity's Noise Removal is for steady noise like hum, and Click Removal is for
random clicks and pops. You have to keep the Noise Removal settings low in
1.2.6, or de-amplify the noise profile. Very fast static-like noise won't be removed
that well by either removal tool. See:

As always, search our Wiki for tips and tricks:

http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Noise_Removal
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Click_Removal
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Other_Specific_Tasks#Audio_Restoration