Quantcast

select none leaves a sort of selected time range

select none leaves a sort of selected time range

David Bailes-3
If you select some audio and then choose select none from the select sub menu on the edit menu (ctrl+shift+a), then the timeline and controls on the selection bar doesn't seem to realise that the time range has gone.

David.

Re: select none leaves a sort of selected time range

Robert Hänggi
Hi David

For me, it is a feature, not a bug.

It deselects all tracks but not the time range itself.
It's thus easier to apply an effect on multiple tracks (e.g. "Select
in all tracks") and then return to a single track while keeping the
original selection.

Robert

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David

For me, it is a feature, not a bug.

It deselects all tracks but not the time range itself.

The time range is deselected, it's just that the timeline and and controls in the selection bar aren't aware of it. For example, if after pressing ctrl+shift+a you press enter to select a track, the timeline and controls in the selection bar are updated to indicate that a time range is not selected.

David.

It's thus easier to apply an effect on multiple tracks (e.g. "Select
in all tracks") and then return to a single track while keeping the
original selection.

Robert

> If you select some audio and then choose select none from the select sub
> menu on the edit menu (ctrl+shift+a), then the timeline and controls on the
> selection bar doesn't seem to realise that the time range has gone.
>
> David.

Re: select none leaves a sort of selected time range

Bill Wharrie

On 2017/03/17, at 1:06 PM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David

For me, it is a feature, not a bug.

It deselects all tracks but not the time range itself.

The time range is deselected, it's just that the timeline and and controls in the selection bar aren't aware of it. For example, if after pressing ctrl+shift+a you press enter to select a track, the timeline and controls in the selection bar are updated to indicate that a time range is not selected.

What I see is this. If there is a selection, then I do cmd+shift+A, what remains is the “quick-play” indicator (double-arrow-line) in the timeline. The “time selection” indicator (the grey bar) goes away. So there is no time selection indicated. If you initiate play, the indicated quick-play region will play, then the quick-play indicator will go away.
Also beware of having “select then act on entire project, if no audio selected” preference checked, as this affects the disabling of Edit menu items and toolbar buttons.

— Bill

David.

It's thus easier to apply an effect on multiple tracks (e.g. "Select
in all tracks") and then return to a single track while keeping the
original selection.

Robert

> If you select some audio and then choose select none from the select sub
> menu on the edit menu (ctrl+shift+a), then the timeline and controls on the
> selection bar doesn't seem to realise that the time range has gone.
>
> David.

Re: select none leaves a sort of selected time range

Cliff Scott

On Mar 17, 2017, at 1:01 PM, Bill Wharrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I see what you see re: quick play on Mac Sierra, but don't understand your last sentence, i.e. which Edit menu items are disabled. I haven't checked all the Edit menu items, but the select menu item still works after the "select none".

Cliff

David.

On 2017/03/17, at 2:10 PM, Cliff Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

If you’ve checked that preference, then the Cut, Copy, Trim and other menu items remain enabled (as well as their toolbar equivalents) when there is no selection. I should have expanded on this. If you have that preference selected you will not see those Edit menu items and toolbar buttons become disabled when there is no selection.

— Bill

Cliff

David.

On Mar 17, 2017, at 1:33 PM, Bill Wharrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ok. Understand. That isn't a problem for me as I rarely use that menu, but use keyboard shortcuts.

Cliff

Cliff

David.

It was more a response to David when he said:

> If you select some audio and then choose select none from the select sub
> menu on the edit menu (ctrl+shift+a), then the timeline and controls on the
> selection bar doesn't seem to realise that the time range has gone.

I’m saying I _do_ see the controls on the selection bar being disabled _as long as I don’t have that preference checked_.

— Bill

Re: select none leaves a sort of selected time range

Robert Hänggi

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi David
>>
>> For me, it is a feature, not a bug.
>>
>> It deselects all tracks but not the time range itself.
>>

> The time range is deselected, it's just that the timeline and and controls
> in the selection bar aren't aware of it. For example, if after pressing
> ctrl+shift+a you press enter to select a track, the timeline and controls
> in the selection bar are updated to indicate that a time range is not
> selected.

Just to clarify:
The time range is indeed deselected but the left selection boundary
stays intact.

Comparison two cases with some audio in one track selected:
1. manual toggling track selection (Enter key)
- The time range stays the same
- play and loop play work the same way with the track being selected or not.

2. Select none (Ctrl-shift-a)
- After deselecting, the controls still report selection start and
length/end as before
- Play begins at former selection start until end of track, loop play
does not work (because length/end is not right as you pointed out)
- selection end/length will from now on be correct (after doing
something like above).

Thus, it's mainly the selection end that isn't updated in time.

The question is if the behaviour should change too.

Three cases after "Select None":
1. Keep time range
2. Keep audio position (current behaviour)
3. Keep nothing

I would prefer solution one because:
- it's consistent with manually deselecting tracks until none is selected
- Point two can be achieved by pressing left arrow
- Point three can be achieved by pressing home

If consensus could be achieved on this behaviour, the menu point
should accordingly be renamed to avoid confusion. For instance
"Deselect all Tracks".

Best
Robert

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:30 PM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you select some audio and then choose select none from the select sub menu on the edit menu (ctrl+shift+a), then the timeline and controls on the selection bar doesn't seem to realise that the time range has gone.

I've had a quick look for the cause, and unfortunately I am the culprit! (commit 76a53c4). I'll try and fix it sometime.

David.

David.

Re: select none leaves a sort of selected time range

I think a "Deselect all Tracks" command might be useful, and more useful
than Select > None if we can only have the one command or shortcut.

Gale

On 17 March 2017 at 19:21, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David
>>>
>>> For me, it is a feature, not a bug.
>>>
>>> It deselects all tracks but not the time range itself.
>>>

>> The time range is deselected, it's just that the timeline and and controls
>> in the selection bar aren't aware of it. For example, if after pressing
>> ctrl+shift+a you press enter to select a track, the timeline and controls
>> in the selection bar are updated to indicate that a time range is not
>> selected.
>>

> Just to clarify:
> The time range is indeed deselected but the left selection boundary
> stays intact.
>
> Comparison two cases with some audio in one track selected:
> 1. manual toggling track selection (Enter key)
> - The time range stays the same
> - play and loop play work the same way with the track being selected or not.
>
> 2. Select none (Ctrl-shift-a)
> - After deselecting, the controls still report selection start and
> length/end as before
> - Play begins at former selection start until end of track, loop play
> does not work (because length/end is not right as you pointed out)
> - selection end/length will from now on be correct (after doing
> something like above).
>
> Thus, it's mainly the selection end that isn't updated in time.
>
> The question is if the behaviour should change too.
>
> Three cases after "Select None":
> 1. Keep time range
> 2. Keep audio position (current behaviour)
> 3. Keep nothing
>
> I would prefer solution one because:
> - it's consistent with manually deselecting tracks until none is selected
> - Point two can be achieved by pressing left arrow
> - Point three can be achieved by pressing home
>
> If consensus could be achieved on this behaviour, the menu point
> should accordingly be renamed to avoid confusion. For instance
> "Deselect all Tracks".
>
> Best
> Robert
>

>> David.
>>

>>> It's thus easier to apply an effect on multiple tracks (e.g. "Select
>>> in all tracks") and then return to a single track while keeping the
>>> original selection.
>>>
>>> Robert

>>> the

Re: select none leaves a sort of selected time range

Robert Hänggi
> I think a "Deselect all Tracks" command might be useful, and more useful
> than Select > None if we can only have the one command or shortcut.
>

> Gale

Thanks for supporting that idea, exactly my thinking too.
Robert

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi David
>>
>> For me, it is a feature, not a bug.
>>
>> It deselects all tracks but not the time range itself.
>>

> The time range is deselected, it's just that the timeline and and controls
> in the selection bar aren't aware of it. For example, if after pressing
> ctrl+shift+a you press enter to select a track, the timeline and controls
> in the selection bar are updated to indicate that a time range is not
> selected.

Just to clarify:
The time range is indeed deselected but the left selection boundary
stays intact.

Comparison two cases with some audio in one track selected:
1. manual toggling track selection (Enter key)
- The time range stays the same
- play and loop play work the same way with the track being selected or not.

2. Select none (Ctrl-shift-a)
- After deselecting, the controls still report selection start and
length/end as before
- Play begins at former selection start until end of track, loop play
does not work (because length/end is not right as you pointed out)
- selection end/length will from now on be correct (after doing
something like above).

Thus, it's mainly the selection end that isn't updated in time.

The question is if the behaviour should change too.

Three cases after "Select None":
1. Keep time range
2. Keep audio position (current behaviour)
3. Keep nothing

I would prefer solution one because:
- it's consistent with manually deselecting tracks until none is selected
- Point two can be achieved by pressing left arrow
- Point three can be achieved by pressing home

If consensus could be achieved on this behaviour, the menu point
should accordingly be renamed to avoid confusion. For instance
"Deselect all Tracks".

Currently there are three related commands
1. Select all (ctrl+a), which selects all tracks and a time range.
2. Select none (ctrl+shift+a), which deselects all tracks and any time range.
3. In all tracks (ctrl+shift+k), which selects all tracks.

I can see that a command to deselect all tracks would be useful. However my inclination would be to add this additional command instead of replacing the existing command Select none.

David.

Best
Robert

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 6:01 PM, Bill Wharrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your feedback about the quick-play indicator.
I've now fixed this bug.

David.

On 21 March 2017 at 09:47, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > The time range is deselected, it's just that the timeline and and
>> > controls
>> > in the selection bar aren't aware of it. For example, if after pressing
>> > ctrl+shift+a you press enter to select a track, the timeline and
>> > controls
>> > in the selection bar are updated to indicate that a time range is not
>> > selected.
>> >

>> Just to clarify:
>> The time range is indeed deselected but the left selection boundary
>> stays intact.
>>
>> Comparison two cases with some audio in one track selected:
>> 1. manual toggling track selection (Enter key)
>> - The time range stays the same
>> - play and loop play work the same way with the track being selected or
>> not.
>>
>> 2. Select none (Ctrl-shift-a)
>> - After deselecting, the controls still report selection start and
>> length/end as before
>> - Play begins at former selection start until end of track, loop play
>> does not work (because length/end is not right as you pointed out)
>> - selection end/length will from now on be correct (after doing
>> something like above).
>>
>> Thus, it's mainly the selection end that isn't updated in time.
>>
>> The question is if the behaviour should change too.
>>
>> Three cases after "Select None":
>> 1. Keep time range
>> 2. Keep audio position (current behaviour)
>> 3. Keep nothing
>>
>> I would prefer solution one because:
>> - it's consistent with manually deselecting tracks until none is selected
>> - Point two can be achieved by pressing left arrow
>> - Point three can be achieved by pressing home
>>
>> If consensus could be achieved on this behaviour, the menu point
>> should accordingly be renamed to avoid confusion. For instance
>> "Deselect all Tracks".
>

> Currently there are three related commands
> 1. Select all (ctrl+a), which selects all tracks and a time range.
> 2. Select none (ctrl+shift+a), which deselects all tracks and any time
> range.
> 3. In all tracks (ctrl+shift+k), which selects all tracks.
>
> I can see that a command to deselect all tracks would be useful. However my
> inclination would be to add this additional command instead of replacing the
> existing command Select none.

You mean so that if multiple tracks are selected, you can deselect all
tracks but retain the selection time range?

Just a thought, how about toggling all tracks?

For the specific case of selecting no tracks when multiple but not all
tracks were selected and retaining the time range, then "toggle all
tracks" would require one more click than "deselect all tracks but
retain selection" (you would need to "select in all tracks" first, and
then toggle), but "toggle all tracks" is more flexible.

Example: Amplify two selected tracks by +3 dB and the rest of the
tracks by -3 dB.

Steve