Quantcast

shifting clips using the keyboard

David Bailes-3
Currently there isn't a keyboard equivalent of the time shift tool.
I appreciate the Audacity is still in the process of getting a release out, and I don't want to divert any attention from that. So this email is primarily just for information.

Using the time shift tool, the clip to be moved is determined by where the left mouse click occurs.
One possibility for a keyboard equivalent, is to use the position of "selection start" as an equivalent to the position of the left mouse click.

To try this out, I've implemented a couple of commands, clip left and clip right. Currently they don't have default shortcuts. On the focused track, if selection start lies within a clip, then the clip is moved one pixel to the left or the right. Notes:
1. If the position of selection start is the same as both a clip end and a clip start, the second of these clips is moved.
2.  The keyboard command behaves in roughly the same way as the time shift tool when audio is selected, and if sync lock tracks is enabled.
3. Selection start and end are moved by the same amount as the clip is moved.

If anyone wants to play with this, there is a branch clipshift in my fork of Audacity. The code is work in progress.

David.

Re: shifting clips using the keyboard

David Bailes-3
On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 11:13 AM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Given that 2.1.3 has now been released, I'd welcome feedback on this suggested method of moving clips using the keyboard.

Additional notes:
1. Even if a track contains a single clip, the above method may be useful for keyboard users for fine adjustments to the alignment of tracks. This would be helped if there were a set of preset zooms in the view menu.
2. If the mouse is used for shifting clips, then movements are rounded to integral number of samples (except when the movement is stopped by the presence of another clip). I'm not sure why this is done, but I've duplicated this behaviour in the keyboard interaction.
3. This keyboard method involves moving the clip and the cursor. I'm currently ignoring the snap to setting on the selection bar, as this would prevent clips being set exactly adjacent to each other.

David.

On 21 March 2017 at 11:14, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 11:13 AM, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Currently there isn't a keyboard equivalent of the time shift tool.
>> I appreciate the Audacity is still in the process of getting a release
>> out, and I don't want to divert any attention from that. So this email is
>> primarily just for information.
>>
>> Using the time shift tool, the clip to be moved is determined by where the
>> left mouse click occurs.
>> One possibility for a keyboard equivalent, is to use the position of
>> "selection start" as an equivalent to the position of the left mouse click.
>>
>> To try this out, I've implemented a couple of commands, clip left and clip
>> right. Currently they don't have default shortcuts. On the focused track, if
>> selection start lies within a clip, then the clip is moved one pixel to the
>> left or the right. Notes:
>> 1. If the position of selection start is the same as both a clip end and a
>> clip start, the second of these clips is moved.
>> 2.  The keyboard command behaves in roughly the same way as the time shift
>> tool when audio is selected, and if sync lock tracks is enabled.
>> 3. Selection start and end are moved by the same amount as the clip is
>> moved.
>>
>> If anyone wants to play with this, there is a branch clipshift in my fork
>> of Audacity. The code is work in progress.
>

> Given that 2.1.3 has now been released, I'd welcome feedback on this
> suggested method of moving clips using the keyboard.
>
> Additional notes:
> 1. Even if a track contains a single clip, the above method may be useful
> for keyboard users for fine adjustments to the alignment of tracks. This
> would be helped if there were a set of preset zooms in the view menu.
> 2. If the mouse is used for shifting clips, then movements are rounded to
> integral number of samples (except when the movement is stopped by the
> presence of another clip). I'm not sure why this is done, but I've
> duplicated this behaviour in the keyboard interaction.
> 3. This keyboard method involves moving the clip and the cursor. I'm
> currently ignoring the snap to setting on the selection bar, as this would
> prevent clips being set exactly adjacent to each other.
>
> David.

Thanks, David.

I don't recall any keyboard commands to move into a clip. Would
such commands be an important first step for this?

Sorry I can't provide any "insights" beyond that.