Quantcast

sound of door opening and closing

ace60
How do I remove the sound of a door opening and closing from my computer? It  happens about every 2 minutes if I am online. Is this sound part of your software or is it from another source. It is very annoying. Regards, Jack

Re: sound of door opening and closing

audacity-help mailing list

    | From ace60
    | Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:02:43 -0700
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] sound of door opening and closing
    | How do I remove the sound of a door opening and closing from my computer?
    | It  happens about every 2 minutes if I am online. Is this sound part of your
    | software or is it from another source.

It is from some other source, definitely not from Audacity. You will have to see if
this sound is related to a system event such as clicking on a link in a web page
in which case it might be part of an unwanted effect provided by your browser,
or some virus or malware may have modified your system sounds so as to
produce that sound when you take a particular action. I would tend to suspect
malware, especially if the sound is not associated with any particular action you
take. I would recommend running a full anti-virus and anti-spyware check as
soon as possible, making sure the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs have the
latest available virus and spyware definitions, and ensuring your firewall software
is up-to-date and enabled.

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.
Tested on: 4/30/2007 10:02:28 PM

Re: sound of door opening and closing

David Smith-14
The door opening/door closing sound effects are from one of the Instant
Messaging clients.  I forget which, since I use Trillian, but it's either
Yahoo Messenger or AOL Instant Messenger, and I think it's the latter.

It was 30 Apr 2007, when [hidden email] commented:

>     | From ace60
>     | Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:02:43 -0700
>     | Subject: [Audacity-help] sound of door opening and closing
>     | How do I remove the sound of a door opening and closing from my
>     computer? | It  happens about every 2 minutes if I am online. Is this
>     sound part of your | software or is it from another source.
>
> It is from some other source, definitely not from Audacity. You will have
> to see if this sound is related to a system event such as clicking on a
> link in a web page in which case it might be part of an unwanted effect
> provided by your browser, or some virus or malware may have modified your
> system sounds so as to produce that sound when you take a particular
> action. I would tend to suspect malware, especially if the sound is not
> associated with any particular action you take. I would recommend running a
> full anti-virus and anti-spyware check as soon as possible, making sure the
> anti-virus and anti-spyware programs have the latest available virus and
> spyware definitions, and ensuring your firewall software is up-to-date and
> enabled.
>

> Gale Andrews
>

> Outbound message virus free.
> Tested on: 4/30/2007 10:02:28 PM

Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
Podcast:
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/grizzlysgrowls>
A minor local celebrity's fifteen minutes of
fame

Re: sound of door opening and closing

ace60
Gale, I found out what was causing the door opening and closing noise and it was not Audacity, it was ...AIM (AOL instant messenger) . I found this out from a girl I work with. I have removed that program from my computer. Thanks, Jack

---- [hidden email] wrote:

>     | From ace60
>     | Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:02:43 -0700
>     | Subject: [Audacity-help] sound of door opening and closing
>     | How do I remove the sound of a door opening and closing from my computer?
>     | It  happens about every 2 minutes if I am online. Is this sound part of your
>     | software or is it from another source.
>
> It is from some other source, definitely not from Audacity. You will have to see if
> this sound is related to a system event such as clicking on a link in a web page
> in which case it might be part of an unwanted effect provided by your browser,
> or some virus or malware may have modified your system sounds so as to
> produce that sound when you take a particular action. I would tend to suspect
> malware, especially if the sound is not associated with any particular action you
> take. I would recommend running a full anti-virus and anti-spyware check as
> soon as possible, making sure the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs have the
> latest available virus and spyware definitions, and ensuring your firewall software
> is up-to-date and enabled.
>

> Gale Andrews
>

> Outbound message virus free.
> Tested on: 4/30/2007 10:02:28 PM

Re: sound of door opening and closing

audacity-help mailing list

    | From David Smith
    | Wed, 02 May 2007 19:45:33 -0500
    | Subject: [Audacity-help] sound of door opening and closing
    | The door opening/door closing sound effects are from one of the Instant
    | Messaging clients.  I forget which, since I use Trillian, but it's either
    | Yahoo Messenger or AOL Instant Messenger, and I think it's the latter.

Thanks for that, it seems that both Yahoo Messenger and AOL Instant
Messenger (AIM) have these sounds, now you have pushed us in the right
direction.  As most people who post to the help-list are not subscribed, I am
cc'ing the original user herewith. If Yahoo is the culprit there is a link here on
how to turn these sounds off:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/tutorials/ms7/mess/im_pm3.html

Gale Andrews

Outbound message virus free.