the sourceforge list

john francis lee
i just got the sourceforge list notice ... click here or we'll drop you
... the url has my email address in it ... i'm not at all thrilled at
that. i'll let 'em drop me and then sign up again, if and when i need
help. the audacity list is low traffic anyway, and i seem to do ok day
to day using the program. thanks for all the fish.

*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Re: the sourceforge list

bobdavcav
What I don't understand is why they sent this out in the first place. The
email clearly said you will be dropped if you don't do anything with this
message by June 29. My plan was to let this happen and then resubscribe with
my old email address, but I appear to still be on the list.

i just got the sourceforge list notice ... click here or we'll drop you ...
the url has my email address in it ... i'm not at all thrilled at that. i'll
let 'em drop me and then sign up again, if and when i need help. the
audacity list is low traffic anyway, and i seem to do ok day to day using
the program. thanks for all the fish.

Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging
tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
[...]

Stevethefiddle
As far as I'm aware, this is entirely a Sourceforge issue. Audacity
has used the Sourceforge mailing service for many years, mostly
without problems. The Sourceforge company has changed hands several
times over the years. My guess is that their current management wants
to cut down on the number of dead email accounts in their database and
intends to purge accounts that have been silent for a long time.
That's just my guess - I'm not aware of any official announcement from
Sourceforge other that the email that we have each received.

Steve

RT

Re: the sourceforge list

Clyde Lyman
I took the list link, SourceForge is a legitimate entity, having been around for over a decade. How To Geek lists them as a provider of freeware that did at one time bundle crapware with downloads but has stopped doing that. They are a repository for coders to distribute their material to each other and interested parties and have a vast array of programs from which to choose in many categories. They do not send often, In fact, I think I got only one since I took the link several months ago

------------------------------ ------------------------------ ----------------
[...]

Lin Sprague
On 7/24/2017 7:18 PM, Clyde Lyman wrote:
> I took the list link, SourceForge is a legitimate entity, having been
> around for over a decade. How To Geek lists them as a provider of
> freeware that did at one time bundle crapware with downloads but has
> stopped doing that. They are a repository for coders to distribute their
> material to each other and interested parties and have a vast array of
> programs from which to choose in many categories. They do not send
> often, In fact, I think I got only one since I took the link several
> months ago

I agree. This is legitimate. If anyone has a doubt, they can just ignore
it and if they eventually get dropped from the audacities list, they can
just re-subscribe. No big deal. I have not noticed any extra spam before
or after I responded, and I pay *very* close attention to that kind of
thing.