transcription toolbar and 1.3.0 preview release

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

transcription toolbar and 1.3.0 preview release

Alexandre Prokoudine
Hi!

There are several issues about 1.3.0 that should be adressed before we
release it even as a preview version.

Some of them is about transcription toolbar.

1. In my build from the most recent CVS the combobox doesn't fit GUI
much nicely. Screenshot is attached.

2. When you change value of speed ratio in transcription toolbar,
playback cursor doesn't respect these changes and runs with its usual
speed out of sync.

3. The very first version of docs about transcription toolbar I sent
you is missing in online documentation.

4. There is a definite lack of comprehensive documentation for this
new functionality. I'd like to address this issue sometime next week
-- just take a time, sit carefully, discuss things I don't understand
and write docs. Shane, please tell me what you're up to and whether we
could work it out.

Comments?

Alexandre

audacity-20050512.png (16K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: transcription toolbar and 1.3.0 preview release

Shane Mueller
> Some of them is about transcription toolbar.
>
> 1. In my build from the most recent CVS the combobox doesn't fit GUI
> much nicely. Screenshot is attached.
This appeared to me to be a problem at the toolkit level that I couldn't work around.

> 2. When you change value of speed ratio in transcription toolbar,
> playback cursor doesn't respect these changes and runs with its usual
> speed out of sync.
This issue has three interacting parts: 1) the fundamentals of the audio architecture,
(2) how the cursor gets drawn, and (3) How I use the architecture to
change playback speed. Here are the details of the problem, maybe
someone will be willing to come up with a fix. Playback speed can be
manipulated with a 'time track' but this doesn't actually change the
rate that the cursor moves at, but adds a fake axis that reflects where
that sample is on a time continuum.  The playback speed control uses a
hidden timetrack to change the playback speed, so it is susceptible to
the same problems that timetracks are subject to.  Ultimately, the
cursor drawing code needs to use a timetrack to define where it needs to
draw the cursor, and there needs to be a better way of managing where
this timetrack comes from.  If playback is initiated through the normal
playback button, one should use any timetracks in the project.  If
initiated through the variable-speed control, it should use the hidden
timetrack. Summary--it is a mess, and it is not clear how to fix it
without creating a bigger mess.  This issue is not going to get fixed by
me in the coming weeks, and maybe not before a 1.3 preview is released.


> 3. The very first version of docs about transcription toolbar I sent
> you is missing in online documentation.
I have email from 20 december that contains an initial version of the
toolbar documentation.  Do you want me to check that in?

> 4. There is a definite lack of comprehensive documentation for this
> new functionality. I'd like to address this issue sometime next week
> -- just take a time, sit carefully, discuss things I don't understand
> and write docs. Shane, please tell me what you're up to and whether we
> could work it out.

This is possible in the coming week, but I'll be gone for 10 days after
that (starting the 20th).  I'm interested in making comprehensive docs
for this eventually, and will probably write an article for a behavioral
methods journal concerning their functionality once a stable release
containing them comes out.  Contact me off-list.  Do you use any instant
messenger--that would be easiest.

Stm...



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Oracle Space Sweepstakes
Want to be the first software developer in space?
Enter now for the Oracle Space Sweepstakes!
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7393&alloc_id=16281&op=click
_______________________________________________
Audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: transcription toolbar and 1.3.0 preview release

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 5/13/05, Shane Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 1. In my build from the most recent CVS the combobox doesn't fit GUI
> > much nicely. Screenshot is attached.
> This appeared to me to be a problem at the toolkit level that I couldn't work around.

I see

> > 2. When you change value of speed ratio in transcription toolbar,
> > playback cursor doesn't respect these changes and runs with its usual
> > speed out of sync.

> timetrack. Summary--it is a mess, and it is not clear how to fix it
> without creating a bigger mess.  This issue is not going to get fixed by
> me in the coming weeks, and maybe not before a 1.3 preview is released.

Sad, but hopefully it will be sorted out and we still own the "Known
issues" section in "release notes" ;)

> > 3. The very first version of docs about transcription toolbar I sent
> > you is missing in online documentation.
> I have email from 20 december that contains an initial version of the
> toolbar documentation.  Do you want me to check that in?

Yes, just to make a start.

> > 4. There is a definite lack of comprehensive documentation for this
> > new functionality. I'd like to address this issue sometime next week
> > -- just take a time, sit carefully, discuss things I don't understand
> > and write docs. Shane, please tell me what you're up to and whether we
> > could work it out.
>
> This is possible in the coming week, but I'll be gone for 10 days after
> that (starting the 20th).  I'm interested in making comprehensive docs
> for this eventually, and will probably write an article for a behavioral
> methods journal concerning their functionality once a stable release
> containing them comes out.  Contact me off-list.  Do you use any instant
> messenger--that would be easiest.

I have both Jabber (at home) and ICQ (both at home and at work).

Alexandre


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Oracle Space Sweepstakes
Want to be the first software developer in space?
Enter now for the Oracle Space Sweepstakes!
<a href="http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_ids93&alloc_id281&op=click">http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_ids93&alloc_id281&op=click
_______________________________________________
Audacity-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
Loading...