voice-activated sound and missing initial sounds, and record volume

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

voice-activated sound and missing initial sounds, and record volume

carrt7
(Macbook Pro, OS 10.12.13, built-in mic and LS, Audacity 2.1.2)

When I set Preferences > SoundActivatedRecording on, level -50, everything works but the recording misses a fraction of the first syllable spoken after a pause.  I presume this reflects the time taken for the SAS to restart the recording.

Will adjusting the Latency or Latency Correction settings make any difference?

Also, when I dictate into the MacBook in normal speaking voice, the recording is way too quiet.  Even when I turn the microphone volume slider to max, and in Apple > SystemPreferences > InternalSpeakers set the volume slider to max, the display (Waveform) only peaks at around 0.2.  

On the Windows version I can set "microphone boost" to overcome this.  But not on the MacBook?

Tony

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Announcing the Oxford Dictionaries API! The API offers world-renowned
dictionary content that is easy and intuitive to access. Sign up for an
account today to start using our lexical data to power your apps and
projects. Get started today and enter our developer competition.
http://sdm.link/oxford
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)  

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)  

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: voice-activated sound and missing initial sounds, and record volume

Gale
Administrator
On 8 March 2017 at 17:03, carrt7 . <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (Macbook Pro, OS 10.12.13, built-in mic and LS, Audacity 2.1.2)

Did you mean 10.12.3?

> When I set Preferences > SoundActivatedRecording on, level -50, everything
> works but the recording misses a fraction of the first syllable spoken after
> a pause.  I presume this reflects the time taken for the SAS to restart the
> recording.
>
> Will adjusting the Latency or Latency Correction settings make any
> difference?

Possibly Audio to buffer might.  Latency correction will not.

Really we need a "pre-roll duration" setting for Sound Activated Recording
to solve this.


> Also, when I dictate into the MacBook in normal speaking voice, the
> recording is way too quiet.  Even when I turn the microphone volume slider
> to max, and in Apple > SystemPreferences > InternalSpeakers set the volume
> slider to max, the display (Waveform) only peaks at around 0.2.

"Internal Speakers" is an output setting I would guess, not an input setting.

Look in System Preferences > Sound, Input tab for whatever microphone
you are using.


Gale

> On the Windows version I can set "microphone boost" to overcome this.  But
> not on the MacBook?
>
> Tony
>
> --
> www.godornot.org
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Announcing the Oxford Dictionaries API! The API offers world-renowned
> dictionary content that is easy and intuitive to access. Sign up for an
> account today to start using our lexical data to power your apps and
> projects. Get started today and enter our developer competition.
> http://sdm.link/oxford
> *********** ASKING FOR HELP *************
>
> When asking for help on this list, please include the following information,
> so we can
> help you properly:
>
> * What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X
> 10.5.1)
>
> * Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help >
> About
>    Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)
>
> * If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and
> how is it
>    connected to the computer?
>
> Mailing list: [hidden email]
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Announcing the Oxford Dictionaries API! The API offers world-renowned
dictionary content that is easy and intuitive to access. Sign up for an
account today to start using our lexical data to power your apps and
projects. Get started today and enter our developer competition.
http://sdm.link/oxford
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)  

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)  

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: voice-activated sound and missing initial sounds, and record volume

Roger
> On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 06:13:01PM +0000, Gale Andrews wrote:

>On 8 March 2017 at 17:03, carrt7 . <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> (Macbook Pro, OS 10.12.13, built-in mic and LS, Audacity 2.1.2)
>
>Did you mean 10.12.3?
>
>> When I set Preferences > SoundActivatedRecording on, level -50, everything
>> works but the recording misses a fraction of the first syllable spoken after
>> a pause.  I presume this reflects the time taken for the SAS to restart the
>> recording.
>>
>> Will adjusting the Latency or Latency Correction settings make any
>> difference?
>
>Possibly Audio to buffer might.  Latency correction will not.
>
>Really we need a "pre-roll duration" setting for Sound Activated Recording
>to solve this.
To help others understand or to further define this, this means when voice
activation is utilized or enabled, the recording or audio application will
always be recording all of the time, preferably keeping about 1-5 seconds of
audio in a buffer.  Upon voice detection, the audio application will take the
last 1-5 seconds of audio heard from the microphone, and append that 1-5
seconds of preserved (or pre-buffered) stream to the beginning of the voice
detected audio stream, hence preventing any initially clipped audio you are
currently expereincing.

This is one of those new oblivious settings for portable recording devices, not
readily or easily understood.

A good example of this function in use, the old motion detection video
recording devices only recorded the thief in the room after he broke through
the door.  With this pre-buffered data function, the thief is now recorded
breaking through the door.

The downside to this function, latency can be significantly effected, causing a
slight delay (depending upon hardware abilities) before playback of audio in
addition to network latency.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Announcing the Oxford Dictionaries API! The API offers world-renowned
dictionary content that is easy and intuitive to access. Sign up for an
account today to start using our lexical data to power your apps and
projects. Get started today and enter our developer competition.
http://sdm.link/oxford
*********** ASKING FOR HELP *************

When asking for help on this list, please include the following information, so we can
help you properly:

* What operating system you are using (for example, Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5.1)  

* Exactly what three digit version number of Audacity you are using (Help > About
   Audacity, or Audacity >  About Audacity on a Mac computer)  

* If this is a recording problem, what equipment you are recording with, and how is it
   connected to the computer?

Mailing list: [hidden email]
To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment