wxWidgets 3.0.3 & VS2017

Henric Jungheim

Now that wxWidgets has a stable release that supports VS2017
(the "v141" platform), is it time to start thinking about
upgrading the Microsoft compiler?

   https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/releases/tag/v3.0.3

There are a few changes necessary to get things working.  If
I recall correctly, pull request #127 and #128 are
sufficient.  They haven't been updated since last year so
they might not apply cleanly anymore.  If there is interest,
I can take a look at refreshing them.  The other "henricj"
pull requests might be required; it was a long time ago that
I looked at this stuff.

I keep a branch with a bunch of other changes synced with
the Audacity's "master" branch that includes the changes in
#127 and #128.  VS2013, VS2015, and VS2015 all support both
Win32 and x64 builds, but I usually only test the x64 build
with the VS2017/v141 compiler since it takes forever to
build all the possible compiler and platform combinations
(the changes required for targeting Windows x64 are more
extensive since MS chose to make sizeof(long) == 4, whereas
sizeof(void*) == 8).  This "x64" branch should include all
but the last few days of Audacity/master's changes:
   https://github.com/henricj/audacity

As of right now, both v141/x64 and v141_xp/Win32 seem to
work.

This sort of infrastructure change is never fun, but
compilers get bug fixes like any other software and four
years is a non-trivial time for software to evolve.
Audacity was at version 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 or so when VS2013 was
released and I'm sure that some Audacity bugs have been
fixed since then.  VS2017 Community should be free even for
corporate folks to use it for Audacity, since it is an open
source project.

Note that the changes for VS2015 and VS2017 are the same.
The v140 and v141 platforms are even binary compatible (i.e.,
using DLL compiled with one is usable from something
compiled by the other).

Regardless, it would probably be a good idea to take a close
look at pull request #127.  The stdint.h and inttypes.h
headers were added before MS provided their own (in
VS2012...?).  Overriding the compiler's header files is not
something to be done lightly.  With VS2015 and later, it
causes all sorts of grief when other system headers find the
local headers instead of the official ones.

#127 and #128.  VS2013, VS2015, and VS2015 all support both
[...]

I think we should move to at least VS2015.

As I've mentioned in another post, on Windows 10 creators update Audacity can crash if the Jaws screen reader is running. There are many possible causes for this, but it would first be good to eliminate compiler bugs that may have already been fixed, and to move to a compiler which officially supports windows 10 as a target.

David.

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 & VS2017

Stevethefiddle
On 6 June 2017 at 09:49, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Henric Jungheim <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> Now that wxWidgets has a stable release that supports VS2017
>> (the "v141" platform), is it time to start thinking about
>> upgrading the Microsoft compiler?
>>
>>    https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/releases/tag/v3.0.3
>>
>> There are a few changes necessary to get things working.  If
>> I recall correctly, pull request #127 and #128 are
>> sufficient.  They haven't been updated since last year so
>> they might not apply cleanly anymore.  If there is interest,
>> I can take a look at refreshing them.  The other "henricj"
>> pull requests might be required; it was a long time ago that
>> I looked at this stuff.
>>
>> I keep a branch with a bunch of other changes synced with
>> the Audacity's "master" branch that includes the changes in
>> #127 and #128.  VS2013, VS2015, and VS2015 all support both
>> Win32 and x64 builds, but I usually only test the x64 build
>> with the VS2017/v141 compiler since it takes forever to
>> build all the possible compiler and platform combinations
>> (the changes required for targeting Windows x64 are more
>> extensive since MS chose to make sizeof(long) == 4, whereas
>> sizeof(void*) == 8).  This "x64" branch should include all
>> but the last few days of Audacity/master's changes:
>>    https://github.com/henricj/audacity
>>
>> As of right now, both v141/x64 and v141_xp/Win32 seem to
>> work.
>>
>> This sort of infrastructure change is never fun, but
>> compilers get bug fixes like any other software and four
>> years is a non-trivial time for software to evolve.
>> Audacity was at version 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 or so when VS2013 was
>> released and I'm sure that some Audacity bugs have been
>> fixed since then.  VS2017 Community should be free even for
>> corporate folks to use it for Audacity, since it is an open
>> source project.
>>
>> Note that the changes for VS2015 and VS2017 are the same.
>> The v140 and v141 platforms are even binary compatible (i.e.,
>> using DLL compiled with one is usable from something
>> compiled by the other).
>>

>> Regardless, it would probably be a good idea to take a close
>> look at pull request #127.  The stdint.h and inttypes.h
>> headers were added before MS provided their own (in
>> VS2012...?).  Overriding the compiler's header files is not
>> something to be done lightly.  With VS2015 and later, it
>> causes all sorts of grief when other system headers find the
>> local headers instead of the official ones.
>

> I think we should move to at least VS2015.

Also, MSVS Express 2013 (recommended in the documentation), is no
longer available.

Steve

> As I've mentioned in another post, on Windows 10 creators update Audacity
> can crash if the Jaws screen reader is running. There are many possible
> causes for this, but it would first be good to eliminate compiler bugs that
> may have already been fixed, and to move to a compiler which officially
> supports windows 10 as a target.
> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2013-compatibility-vs
> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2015-compatibility-vs
>
> David.

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 & VS2017

Robert Hänggi
What are the risks for backwards compatibility?
I think XP should still work (with the corresponding workloads).
I'm not sure about MacOs, it seems that Maverick is the minimum requirement.
Do we still support Snow Leopard?

Robert

On 06/06/2017, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> look at pull request #127.  The stdint.h and inttypes.h
>>> headers were added before MS provided their own (in
>>> VS2012...?).  Overriding the compiler's header files is not
>>> something to be done lightly.  With VS2015 and later, it
>>> causes all sorts of grief when other system headers find the
>>> local headers instead of the official ones.
>>

>> I think we should move to at least VS2015.
>
> Also, MSVS Express 2013 (recommended in the documentation), is no
> longer available.
>
> Steve
>

>> As I've mentioned in another post, on Windows 10 creators update Audacity
>> can crash if the Jaws screen reader is running. There are many possible
>> causes for this, but it would first be good to eliminate compiler bugs
>> that
>> may have already been fixed, and to move to a compiler which officially

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 & VS2017

I found and posted a direct link to "VS Community 2013 with Update 4":
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Windows .

Gale

On 6 June 2017 at 10:33, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> Regardless, it would probably be a good idea to take a close
>>> look at pull request #127.  The stdint.h and inttypes.h
>>> headers were added before MS provided their own (in
>>> VS2012...?).  Overriding the compiler's header files is not
>>> something to be done lightly.  With VS2015 and later, it
>>> causes all sorts of grief when other system headers find the
>>> local headers instead of the official ones.
>>

>> I think we should move to at least VS2015.
>
> Also, MSVS Express 2013 (recommended in the documentation), is no
> longer available.
>
> Steve
>

>> As I've mentioned in another post, on Windows 10 creators update Audacity
>> can crash if the Jaws screen reader is running. There are many possible
>> causes for this, but it would first be good to eliminate compiler bugs that
>> may have already been fixed, and to move to a compiler which officially

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 & VS2017

Audacity 2.2.0 and later do not officially support XP, but as you
can see, VS2015 can still target XP.

Off topic, but see:
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/#sysreq .

Gale

On 6 June 2017 at 12:22, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What are the risks for backwards compatibility?
> I think XP should still work (with the corresponding workloads).
> I'm not sure about MacOs, it seems that Maverick is the minimum requirement.
> Do we still support Snow Leopard?
>
> Robert
>
> On 06/06/2017, Steve the Fiddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 6 June 2017 at 09:49, David Bailes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think we should move to at least VS2015.
>>
>> Also, MSVS Express 2013 (recommended in the documentation), is no
>> longer available.
>>
>> Steve
>>

>>> As I've mentioned in another post, on Windows 10 creators update Audacity
>>> can crash if the Jaws screen reader is running. There are many possible
>>> causes for this, but it would first be good to eliminate compiler bugs
>>> that
>>> may have already been fixed, and to move to a compiler which officially
>>> supports windows 10 as a target.
>>> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2013-compatibility-vs
>>> https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2015-compatibility-vs
>>>
>>> David.

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 & VS2017

Robert Hänggi
On 06/06/2017, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Audacity 2.2.0 and later do not officially support XP, but as you
> can see, VS2015 can still target XP.

Should also be the case for 2017, the needed packages can at least
optionally be installed.
However, support is officially dropped on both sides (MS and us).

> Off topic, but see:
> http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/#sysreq .

So it is MacOS 10.6 upwards.

Thanks Gale

VS2017 is huge (up to 50 GB).
We should therefore exactly document in the compile instructions what
is really needed to build Audacity.

Since there is also support for all major mobile OS, I've contemplated
that it might be useful to engineer a mini Audacity application for
those platforms.
Main purpose: play audacity projects and possibly some conversion features.
Of course, there would be new developers needed that have some
experience in that field.

In summary,  everyone that was successful in building Audacity with a
newer VS should exactly write down what he had to do in order to make
it work.

Robert

> Gale
>

> On 6 June 2017 at 12:22, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What are the risks for backwards compatibility?
>> I think XP should still work (with the corresponding workloads).
>> I'm not sure about MacOs, it seems that Maverick is the minimum
>> requirement.
>> Do we still support Snow Leopard?
>>
>> Robert

>>> Also, MSVS Express 2013 (recommended in the documentation), is no
>>> longer available.
>>>
>>> Steve

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 & VS2017

Mark Young-3

All,

I would suggest that if there is a move away from VS2013 (and that is a +1 from me) then we should move to VS2017.  There is no point having the same conversation in a few years when 2015 is no longer supported etc.  VS2017 is out & usable.

Mark Young
TIP2TAIL LTD
Hamilton, Scotland

On 06/06/2017, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Audacity 2.2.0 and later do not officially support XP, but as you

> can see, VS2015 can still target XP.

Should also be the case for 2017, the needed packages can at least

optionally be installed.

However, support is officially dropped on both sides (MS and us).

> Off topic, but see:

> http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/#sysreq .

So it is MacOS 10.6 upwards.

Thanks Gale

VS2017 is huge (up to 50 GB).

We should therefore exactly document in the compile instructions what

is really needed to build Audacity.

Since there is also support for all major mobile OS, I've contemplated

that it might be useful to engineer a mini Audacity application for

those platforms.

Main purpose: play audacity projects and possibly some conversion features.

Of course, there would be new developers needed that have some

experience in that field.

In summary,  everyone that was successful in building Audacity with a

newer VS should exactly write down what he had to do in order to make

it work.

Robert

> Gale

> On 6 June 2017 at 12:22, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> What are the risks for backwards compatibility?

>> I think XP should still work (with the corresponding workloads).

>> I'm not sure about MacOs, it seems that Maverick is the minimum

>> requirement.

>> Do we still support Snow Leopard?

>> Robert

>>> Also, MSVS Express 2013 (recommended in the documentation), is no

>>> longer available.

>>> Steve

Re: wxWidgets 3.0.3 & VS2017

Vaughan Johnson-4
another thread on the same topic. As i mentioned on the other thread, usually there are a ton of patches within the first year of a new MSVC , so that's worth noting.

it might mean a conversion and then a series of conversions for patches. Mark, thanks for your input, but we've had that same conversation about updating many times (!) -- and as I say the first releases of MSVC usually need lots of patching. Just something to note.

Yes, MS deprecated VS2013 Express so we should probably move from that. My copy has expired!

-- V

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Mark Young (tip2tail) <[hidden email]> wrote:

All,

I would suggest that if there is a move away from VS2013 (and that is a +1 from me) then we should move to VS2017.  There is no point having the same conversation in a few years when 2015 is no longer supported etc.  VS2017 is out & usable.

Mark Young
TIP2TAIL LTD
Hamilton, Scotland

On 06/06/2017, Gale Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Audacity 2.2.0 and later do not officially support XP, but as you

> can see, VS2015 can still target XP.

Should also be the case for 2017, the needed packages can at least

optionally be installed.

However, support is officially dropped on both sides (MS and us).

> Off topic, but see:

> http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/#sysreq .

So it is MacOS 10.6 upwards.

Thanks Gale

VS2017 is huge (up to 50 GB).

We should therefore exactly document in the compile instructions what

is really needed to build Audacity.

Since there is also support for all major mobile OS, I've contemplated

that it might be useful to engineer a mini Audacity application for

those platforms.

Main purpose: play audacity projects and possibly some conversion features.

Of course, there would be new developers needed that have some

experience in that field.

In summary,  everyone that was successful in building Audacity with a

newer VS should exactly write down what he had to do in order to make

it work.

Robert

> Gale

> On 6 June 2017 at 12:22, Robert Hänggi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> What are the risks for backwards compatibility?

>> I think XP should still work (with the corresponding workloads).

>> I'm not sure about MacOs, it seems that Maverick is the minimum

>> requirement.

>> Do we still support Snow Leopard?

>> Robert

>>> Also, MSVS Express 2013 (recommended in the documentation), is no

>>> longer available.

>>> Steve